Return to Website

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!

This is a general bulletin board for posting information, resources and questions regarding the dachshund. No listing of dogs for sale allowed. All posts will be removed.

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New dog

I am getting a long haired dachshund today. He is 2 years old. I have never had a dog before, but I am in love with dachshunds. His name is Homer.
What can I expect for the first few weeks? I am going to PetSmart right away and need to know what I should get for him?

Re: New dog

First, CONGRATS on getting a new dog. I'm very happy for you and of course Homer. Thank you for adopting a rescue. Dachshunds are not the easiest for a first dog but if you have lots of time and a great deal of patience Homer will be a great companion for you.

Sorry I'm late but I just saw your post now. There are so many things you need to know so will start off with this link that tells you most of what you need to know immediately.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/dog_guide.php#s8

Ask more questions if you need to. Good luck!!!!

Re: New dog - Suggestions from "The Dog Whisperer"

I'm a big fan of Cesar Millan "The Dog Whisperer". The following is copied from his blog. Suggest you follow this first!!

The Dog Whisperer
Bringing Home a Newly Adopted Dog
In my work, I get to meet the most wonderful people and I try not to be too hard on them when they are my clients, but usually I’m telling them exactly what they don’t want to hear – that they are usually the reason for their dog’s problems and they need to change the way they relate to their dogs for their own good.
It is hard to resist wanting to spoil a new pet, especially if you have just adopted a homeless animal. Owners will bring their new friend home, constantly hug the dog, stroke the dog, bring the dog to bed with them, and tell it, “It’s all right. You’re safe now.”
The problem is the dog doesn’t feel safe at all. It will sense it is with a person who doesn’t have a “plan,” knowing that they are not with an assertive leader. One of two things will happen: The dog will develop an issue stemming from that insecurity –or existing issues will get worse–or the dog will immediately take the leadership position so that at least someone is in charge! Remember that the majority of shelter dogs are already stressed and nervous or afraid and can become aggressive if they don’t feel they have that strong, calm-assertive leader at their sides.
In the wild, when a new dog joins an existing pack, they already have a position for it. It will either be a leader or follower. The new dog knows what’s expected of him, and what to expect. Most people don’t have such a plan, and when a dog finds himself in front of owners who do not assert themselves correctly, the dog is going to create the plan for them.
The right way to bring a rescued dog into your home involves understanding the leadership role. The first thing you must do upon leaving the kennel or shelter is to take the dog for a walk. This will rid him of some of his anxious energy. Resist the urge to coddle it. Affection must come later, when the leadership role is fully established. And don’t worry that you are hurting the dog’s feelings by withholding affection. You are not. The most important thing it needs to know is where it belongs in the new pack.
This entry was posted on Monday, February 6th, 2006 at 7:22 am and is filed under Episode 6.

Re: Re: New dog - Suggestions from "The Dog Whisperer"

Thank you both for the great advice!!!
We managed to get through our first night and he slept all night!!! I feel very blessed for that!!