Return to Website

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!

This is a general bulletin board for posting information, resources and questions regarding the dachshund. No listing of dogs for sale allowed. All posts will be removed.

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doggie body odor...HELP!!!

I am keeping 2 dachshunds for my mother in law so I do not know anything about them. They stay outside allday, but at night we bring them inside and put them inside a kennel. My questions is that the female (black short hair) stinks so bad that I cannot stand for her to be in my house. We have bathed her, but within a few hours she smells like a wet dog that has been in the hot sun for days. The odor is gagging!!! Them male (brown short hair) does not have this problem. Does anybody know what I can do to get rid of this doggie body odor?
Please help!!!!!

Re: Doggie body odor...HELP!!!

Personally, I would suspect something more serious than "body odor". I would check to see if her teeth were bad, first of all. Decaying teeth can be very smelly. Ear infections can also have a very bad smell.
A trip to the vet to determine the root of the odor is definitely in order...

Re: Doggie body odor...HELP!!!

Along with the suggestions of the other poster it could also be her anal glands, they may need expressing. Definitely a vet visit is in order and the sooner the better. If it is teeth, ears or anal glands they will NOT get better on their own.

Please see a vet as soon as possible.

Re: Re: Doggie body odor...HELP!!!

My Doxie also has a full-body odor, not just her mouth, or rear, or ears. Again, HELP!!!