Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Don't know what to do anymore, help!

HI Emma-
I'm so sorry about what you're going through. I totally understand and can relate.

I've been seeing a therapist for the past 6 years, who is extremely good at her job! I started going because I have anxiety and through meeting with her, have come to realize that most of the problems I have are as a result of my family and the way they treated me and each other. I have actually had my only sibling out of my life for quite some time now, and I have never been more calm. My mother, on the other hand, well...I'm still struggling with her. Baby steps.

The hardest part of all this is that it is family. The part I've come to realize though, is that you can actually step away from them and do your own thing. What it all boils down to is: should you let them go or make them realize you can only love them from a distance.

My recommendation is to try and move out as soon as you can! This is YOUR life, and YOU are the only one who can control it! Break the cycle and start fresh. You are in charge of your future and what it holds. Stay as busy as possible doing your own thing. You are not responsible for anyone except yourself.