Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new- happy to have found this forum

I am new here. I found it by web search after when I had discovered this group in Facebook.
My dad had diagnosed schizoperhenia when he was 18 years old.
And basicially I had thought that attending in this kind of support might be helpful.

Hi-I am grateful for such forums as well! My mom has bipolar and dad had serious alcoholism and depression before he died of suicide when I was in high school. Mom's bipolar is such that she can present as pretty "normal" and it has taken me a good many years to sort out what I think about it all. I've been blogging for several months now at acmi-spelunker@blogspot.com I find that writing about my experience, and having a good counselor, is a wonderful release. Regards, Ben

The thing that is so crazy-making about having a crazy parent is exactly that they are often capable of seeming sane and actually acting in very valiant ways. My mom's relentless work and intense will power pulled my family out of poverty. Her irrational anger, hateful criticism and violence made me want to die. Now she's a little old lady, often just as angry and vitriolic as ever... but in need of protection. It's exactly the inconsistency that makes her so painful to deal with.