Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help Please

I am in desperate need of advice. My mother has been on drugs for thirty years. She is now sixty two years old. Still on drugs. She goes to the er three times a week for drugs.. any drugs. She is not able to care for her self. She will not let the family help. We don't know what to do. Please help. Any and all information.

Re: Help Please

It sounds like you have dealt with this for some time now. I am sorry you have had to, my sister is addicted to prescription drugs so I have a small semblance of an idea of what you are going through. I am a firm believer in tough love, however. It helped me to deal with, or get out of (depending) the emotionally unhealthy situations, and relationships that have plagued my life. In my life it has worked. As far as my sister I don't have the energy, I just don't. I have my own family now and I owe them a whole me, though if I were a single woman I know what I would do. The following website might help, I know it says for alcoholism but replace that word with drug addiction and, well, the idea is the same.
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/lifechallenges/abuse_and_addiction/substance_abuse/if_you_love_an_alcoholic.aspx
I wish I could be of more help. I wish you the best.