Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: intro.. new here

Wow.. That sounds so much like my mom. I have lost count of the number of times I've heard second hand about the horrible insane stuff she's said about me to her sister and brothers. I'm slowly trying to fix the damage, mainly by showing up to family things and acting like myself - if they can't see she's making things up after having a real face-to-face talk with me, they are too stupid to bother with. It's sad that our moms need power over us so much that they alienate everyone else from us.

I've done what you are doing - cut her off for a month. It didn't work the way I thought it would. Apart from getting calls from my grandmother and aunt about how horrible I was, Mom also decided that calling my home and telling me how she wasn't going to talk to me or bother me every hour on the hour was ok to do. When I started screening my calls, she left messages screaming into the phone, or threatening to kill herself. We still stuck it out all month, but it didn't take long for her to break the rules again. She has a problem with boundaries. It sounds like your mom does, too. I'm an only child and my dad's dead, so I get it all.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I wish I knew how to help. I don't seem to be able to fix my own troubles, as my mom seems to enjoy breaking every rule and boundary I set for our family.