Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mother Mentally Ill, need advice

My suggestion..this is TOO MUCH for one person. Call the County she lives in to get resources. They should have a 24-hour 7-day a week crises team...that will go to her place and check on her. Also, try to acess case manager services,who will help her manage things. Also, senior center (when things calm down) may have case manager help, also meals...if she is 55 qualifies as a senior. Try to find resources...often there is an 800 number to call in the community,

I agree that this is too much for one person to deal with. I've wasted most of my adult life caring for a mentally ill mother. In a sad way it is a no win situation. I believe they have to be a threat to themselves or others before they can be forced to accept outside help.

What you are going through is sad and difficult for others to understand. Remember to put yourself, and your immediate family first.

Call for help. Get her to a doctor. Do something to help her and yourself. My mother went through 14 years of delusions, paranoia, and complete isolation from the rest of the world, and I didn't figure it out. I was very young so I guess that's an excuse. My father left her, and all she had was my sister and myself. Her delusions took over her life and our lives too. She got what turned out to be cancer and violently, vociferously refused to go to the doctor, so she slowly died of it. I understand now that she was afraid a doctor would tell us and her that she was mentally ill, so she wouldn't go anywhere near a doctor. She had a cat that she adored and even let him die a horrible, slow, agonizing death because she she was so afraid to go anywhere near any kind of doctor. She did terrible things to my sister and me, scarring us for life in many ways, and I'm only now beginning to understand what actually happened. But the one thing I do know is this: that first day when I saw that first delusion, I should have screamed for help and forced her to go to a doctor. I was 22 and my mother had always ruled with an iron fist, so it didn't even cross my mind to override her commands to me. But if I could do it over again now, I would absolutely MAKE her get help!!!!!