Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: New Here

I'm new here too, and I feel for your situation. I agree that now it's time to focus on your needs and your family. I'm going through a similar situation with my "mom"; I just posted so feel free to read all about her. I have so much hatred for her right now, and I hate to feel hate, you know what I mean?
My aunt came up to help me deal with this situation. She got me involved in Al-Anon, and with a support group for family members of the mentally ill. I am looking forward to self-discovery and to not having to worry about another human being to the extent that I sacrifice my sanity, my family and my finances.
When I was reading your post I could really identify. You are right in needing your space away from the insanity. "Codependent No More" is a great book that addresses the guilt we feel when we pull away from the person affected by drugs, alcohol, mental illness, etc, I recommend it and Al-Anon if your mother has ever had a problem with alcohol. Good luck, and follow your intuition.