Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
not sure where to turn next

my mother has not been formally diagnosed, and is completely unwilling to seek medical advice. my siblings and i have described our mother's activities/symptoms to several professionals, who all agreed my mother requires help for bipolar/paranoid personality disorder (really unsure of correct diagnosis, since she refuses to see anyone (doctor) or speak with us about the potential for any of her rantings to be untrue). things have deteriorated for a number of years, and we are not sure what steps we are supposed to take. does anyone know how we can get her to seek help? thank you in advance.

Re: not sure where to turn next

Hi!
Unfortunately, it's been my experience that one has to wait until the disease progresses to the point where the parent becomes a danger to self or others. It is like living a Nightmare!!!!!
But when he/she reaches that stage it's best to just call the cops, because he/she can have incredible stregth and can literly be dangerous to be around.
Then as usually happends the parent is held either a week or 48 hours for an evaluation, and then released, it's up to the patient to take his/her meds, and usually they don't like to take them, which means the whole cycle will repeat in just a matter of time.......

You could speak with legal aid or an attorney to see, what one can do, but I think it's usually up to the patient to ask for help..........

It's all rediculous I know...........

What are her current symptoms?