Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: My Dad

hi...i agree with the other two posts...and would add in addition to seeking out help for yourself via a counsellor, therapist, and/or minister/clergy/rabbi, etc., that it is important that you take the best care of yourself that you can. this means, getting enough sleep, eating well, and getting regular exercise. exercise does help fight depression! so does writing! write our your feelings, talk to a therapist, build a network of loving, supporting friends. yoga has been known to help to, as does massage. there are so many things you can do naturally -- find what works best for you.

you taking care of yourself can be a great catalyst for change in your whole family situation.

build up your inner-strength -- develop and/or practice your faith, turn to God, or whatever your belief system is, write a gratitude list every day of what you are grateful for...focus on the things that make you happy and feel good about yourself. go slow, be gentle with yourself, and take things one day at a time. you've already made the first step by asking others for help! Good luck, take care, and God bless! I've been there, and I am doing the same for myself! :) You are not alone.