Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introduction

Hello! I am glad to find this site as I haven't found any good sites on the topic of growing up with mentally ill parents. Both of my parents were mentally ill, my mother was schizophrenic and lived in a halfway house or mental hospital for most of my life. My father's illness was kept a secret from me for a long time but he has been hospitalized for his erratic behavior in the past and I would suspect he has a personality disorder or bi-polar or some combination. Anyway, he was very abusive and had an addictive personality as well. I was an only child growing up with my father alone which was a scary life indeed. We were very poor and I was painfully shy and anxious. Feared for my life most of the time.

Somehow, I have no idea how, I grew up to be very successful and kind although also still very anxious/panicky. I am 29 and find that there aren't a lot of people I can talk to about my life situation who really understand the pain behind it. Most of the time, I put on a strong happy face so I can survive in the office and with peers. But inside, as only my closest friends know, I am often heartbroken. My family and I haven't talked in years due to my abuse which I know is the safest thing for me and my panic. Therapy has helped me to see the truth in my life instead of hiding from it and I will continue to seek help until I can cope with the feelings of the past. Most days I am very hopeful but the days I'm not can be truly dark.

Though the pain is there, I still consider myself lucky. I went to college and recently was married to a wonderful guy who treats me so much better than I could ever imagine growing up. Of course, I wonder how I got here and escaped the awful situations that I have witnessed. This I consider to be great luck and I would like to help others, mainly children, who have grown up in similar situations. I am in the Seattle area and would love to start up a non-profit someday that will help teach the public about the truths of growing up in a mentally ill family. I hope also to meet other young adults who have gone through something like this.

Re: Introduction

Hi!
Im glad you survived!!!!!!!!!
By helping others I feel is a unique way in which to help self!!!!!!!!
The public, the medical community, and the mental health communty ALL need to be EDUCATED! We have been silent for way too long!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!
Your Not Alone!!!!!!!

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. I think starting something non-profit like that is a fabulous idea. I can't even imagine how much something like that probably could've helped me, at various points of my youth.

Hi: It seems there are a lot of people on this site who are dealing with similiar problems. You are welcome to e-mail me anytime. I'm also hoping to connect with some young people who can relate.