Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My mom and what to do next??

How'd everything end up? I started this response before realizing your post was from March, so this is too late now really (she's either okay or she's not at this point), but in case you go through similar situations with her again in the future (which you might), I'll say what I was going to say anyway:

The most you could do is call her doctor if she has one and tell them what she tells you, and let them take it from there. It's actually not always even that easy to have someone committed, really. Hospitals don't always have beds, and even if they put you away you might get let back out a few weeks later. But still, if the doctor can get her to admit her suicidal feelings to him then he is required to report it to the police. And at least then she could be protected from herself temporarily. That's really all you can do. I'd say trust your gut in a case like this. If you think she's really in danger, report it. But take care of yourself too. Your mental well-being matters as much as hers does.

Re: Re: My mom and what to do next??

Well that"s the whole point isn"t it. I believe in my own situation, I'm done running after my dad and taking care of him, I did my time. In order to stop the cycle you have to break the cycle parent or not. Calling the police and the hospital and or whatnot will change what?
You can"t do both you let go or you don't. And taking care of yourself does not exist with a mentally ill parent,"I'ts all about them, there needs, there wants, how bad they feel ,how sad they feel, how helpless they feel. yada ,yada,yada. And we feel what? Does it really matter? No it doesen't as long as we're there to pick up the mess, were apart of the wallpaper.The ever consistant garbage men,fixers of all,and ever present eggshell walkers. Who's feeling and emotions never matter so why should they now. For **** sake my dad dosen't even know my birthday, when I graduated, what my sons birthday is, cause it never mattered all that matter was him. And how he felt, and that it.so he will end up, how i felt most of my life alone.