Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New here, need advice

Hi,

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to deal with a parent who is becoming increasingly more unstable but refuses to seek help. My mother has become manic and very irrational over the last few weeks (pretty suddenly) she says things like "I know people think I'm crazy but they are the ones" and "its the government" etc... I want to get her help but she refuses to admit there is anything wrong.

Anyone battle this? How do I help her?

Re: New here, need advice

Carma, You may just have to take her to a hosp. if you can get her to talk about the odd things she is thinking and saying in the er in front of the docs they will admit her for at least 48 hours and they will try to get her on meds and see if they can then get her to sign her self in before the 48 hours is up. What state are you in? All states have different laws I know the ones for Ohio and Florida if you are in one of those. But, you have to get her help Iknow that here in Ohio we have a state group that I have found very helpful. You are going to make her made because she is sick and cannot see anything she is saying as wrong but you have to use some tough love and do it. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do but, she will only continue to get get worse with out help.
I hope this helps some and if I can help in any way please let me know.
Teresa

Re: New here, need advice

Talk to other family members like grandparents or aunts or uncles. Any one in your family who knows your mother and see if they can help or maybe talk to a doctor with you.