Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: My story with mother

Thanks for that response. I have been on antidepressants for about 11 years, and they have helped greatly. I do try to be good to myself. I see my doctor once a month for therapy. I have gone more often over the years.

I have thought about writing a letter to my parents. Both are actually mentally ill, but Dad was never psychotic, could function enough to hold a job and never went to any kind of treatment. I dont want to talk to him, but feel guilty for not calling when he has called. He is verbally abusive.

I want to write to him and tell him why I am angry, but I dont think he will understand. I may write and not send it as you suggested, but I think he needs to know that I am angry and why I dont want to talk to him.

Take care of yourself too.

Rob

Re: My story with mother

You are not alone. I am a surviver myself and the only way I can deal with the past is to treat it as a bad dream. Forgiveness can only come by understanding and as I am a parent myself, I can not understand how a person can allow situations to occur and continue continuously. I have very little contact with my family because of this.