Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My story with mother

Rob
I can relate to the anger- I think it is normal and needs an outlet
You have gone through a lot of pain and neglect and insanity.
Have you ever tried any antidepressants? They ease the intense feelings so you can enjoy life.
It is difficult to have issues with parents that you can't discuss because they are elderly and also don't realize the misery they caused you.
Some people recommend writing them a letter you don't send to help release the anger and sadness. You see what is really painful is the sadness-the neglect you suffered.

I can offer some sympathy and understanding-
but these things take time to deal with so find a way to be good to yourself and give yourself some credit for living through the agony and insanity

I hope this has been helpful
let me know how you are doing OK?
I had both parents who were insane so I think I know how sad and angry one gets - I have had some relief with antidepressants but I also feel angry s

take care
Sherry

Re: Re: My story with mother

Thanks for that response. I have been on antidepressants for about 11 years, and they have helped greatly. I do try to be good to myself. I see my doctor once a month for therapy. I have gone more often over the years.

I have thought about writing a letter to my parents. Both are actually mentally ill, but Dad was never psychotic, could function enough to hold a job and never went to any kind of treatment. I dont want to talk to him, but feel guilty for not calling when he has called. He is verbally abusive.

I want to write to him and tell him why I am angry, but I dont think he will understand. I may write and not send it as you suggested, but I think he needs to know that I am angry and why I dont want to talk to him.

Take care of yourself too.

Rob

Re: My story with mother

You are not alone. I am a surviver myself and the only way I can deal with the past is to treat it as a bad dream. Forgiveness can only come by understanding and as I am a parent myself, I can not understand how a person can allow situations to occur and continue continuously. I have very little contact with my family because of this.