Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a poem

To the people getting smaller in the rear view mirror

You were my parents
once

I believed what you said and even looked up to you
Years passed
and I found my own ideas
But still found room to believe in you

Time continued on and I learned more from the larger world
It became obvious that little of what you said was true
You had created a world of make believe
where you were faultless
But you were never really faultless, only shameless

The revealing light of truth exposes
the fear, arrogance and lies that is your essence.
Seen clearly, you are a sad, lost and lonely people.
Even as I tried to bring the healing powers of truth,
you could only retreat further into your cosmos of the lie

It’s sad really, we were a family (or could have been?)
I watch you getting smaller in the rear view mirror
and have a sudden urge to jam hard on the brakes
One last surge of false hope rises, then fades
followed by a faint smile of knowing

I look in front of me now and
start to assimilate goodbye

Re: a poem

That poem was amazing as well as very sad I couldn't hold the tears back. I am 33yrs old and am just finally coming out of the blindfold of my entire life with my parents. I moved out when I was 17 married a wonderful man(God must have been really looking out for me cause he wasn't the type I usually dated!) when I was 20 and since have had 2 wonderful kids Aiden 8 and Karleigh 11. I can't believe how long it takes to really come out of the dark. I really can relate to your statement of "one last false hope rises, then fades" In the past 2 years I have really distanced myself from my parents and extended family just for the sake of my own sanity! I was really starting to think I was the Crazy one! My Dad is an alcoholic and my mom is so codependent thet she can barely function anymore. Of coarse everyone is "out to get them and they have done no wrong" I knew my Mom was really sick when she told my Pastor that I "kidnapped" my 17 yr old brother (I offered him a place to stay as they were moving into my sisters garage with no running water etc)I think this is got to be their 30th move that I know of! ............Always an excuse though and no fault of their own....Anyways I really wanted to thank you for your poem. I don't feel like I'm an alien anymore!!!