American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board

Discuss AT40/20 and Chart information with fellow fans!

American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Today's top 40

I really,really,really,really,reeeeaaaalllyyy miss American Top 40! As well as the TV counterpart AT 10! Today's top 40 simply does not measure up to the songs I grew up with. I don't necessarily hate all that's out there,but for the most part it's either boring or just straight up annoying! I used to follow the show every week and write down all 40 hits on special lists that I kept until the end. I would say bring back the top 40 show but it just wouldn't be the same. BY The way...Hey,Shadoe! I really miss your Federated Group Commercials that used to run here in Phoenix! Remember this? "Say,we be breakin' out that breaking beat for funky federated feet!" Smash it! "Got to grab that price and smash it!" Then of course you did an animated flip in the air. I know it was almost 20 years ago,but that image never left my mind,for some reason. Later Gators!

Re: Today's top 40

Top 40 or Contemporary Hit radio isn't a type of format that stays consistent such as Urban contemporary, Country, or Hip-hop. It's a format that can shift from one direction to another. For example in the early 80's, acts such as Barry Mantilow, Hall & Oates, Pat Bennatar, Olivia Newton John just to name a few, ruled the top 40. Hair bands were hitting big such as Poison, Def Leppard, to name a few. Also Madonna was hitting big. Hip-hop & rap first started charting in the 80's. In 1980, "rapper's Delight" by hte Sugar Hill Gang hit the top 40 & "Rapture" by Blonde went to number one in 1981. I wouldn't be surprised if rap & hip-hop bothers you as well as music sampling. I first started to notice Sampling in the early's. In 2003, at least half of the songs have some sampling. A lot of people always complain about why top 40 is too hip-hop; because that's what's hot today. It has a strong influence as Rock & Roll did in the 60's. The only way if hip-hop is to loose popularity is for something else to dominate. I first got into top 40 in the 1980's when I was a teenager in the first 5 years. I'm still in it because I kept up with it and the changing times. This is just my thoughts.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I really,really,really,really,reeeeaaaalllyyy miss American Top 40! As well as the TV counterpart AT 10! Today's top 40 simply does not measure up to the songs I grew up with. I don't necessarily hate all that's out there,but for the most part it's either boring or just straight up annoying! I used to follow the show every week and write down all 40 hits on special lists that I kept until the end. I would say bring back the top 40 show but it just wouldn't be the same. BY The way...Hey,Shadoe! I really miss your Federated Group Commercials that used to run here in Phoenix! Remember this? "Say,we be breakin' out that breaking beat for funky federated feet!" Smash it! "Got to grab that price and smash it!" Then of course you did an animated flip in the air. I know it was almost 20 years ago,but that image never left my mind,for some reason. Later Gators!

Yeah, I would have to agree with the original message with regard to today's Top 40, although I would have to say that radio has, for the most part, sort of fragmented in recent years. I'm also not thrilled with songs or material that is either too cutesy-poo for my taste or that glorifies criminal activity, (though I do like the beat of rap and hip-hop itself). As for some of the modern hard rock bands, I think the visual aspects of their acts are alright, however a lot of the lyrics or their band names make no sense whatsoever.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The problem with fragmentation is that it's impossible to devise a top 40 show that has across-the-board appeal. If you go back to the top 40 of pre-1991 it was possible to hear most of the top 40 songs on "top 40" or pop radio. Now this is not the case. There is such a mix of formats and styles that no 1 radio station could possibly play all the records in the top 40.