American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board

Discuss AT40/20 and Chart information with fellow fans!

American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hypothetical: When Casey retires

It may be too soon to talk about this, and it may have been discussed here before. But, who do you think would replace him permanently when he does. I personally have thought about this a lot and here is the one conclusion I keep coming back to....to leave AT40 in the hands of a relative countdown newcomer is a mistake(i.e. Shadoe Stevens)I think. However, what about this; since he is the most listened to countdown DJ in America, and his show is owned by the same company as AT40. Wouldn't Premiere consider making Rick Dees the host of AT40? It would cut production cost in half(going from two shows to one) and he is a well known radio personality. What do you think? Is it possible?

Re: Hypothetical: When Casey retires

The answer is NO for 2 reasons: 1) He already has his own show to deal with and 2) I don't like him doing his acts. That's how AT40 got slammed in the early 90's because of Shadoe Stevens because they wouldn't let him be his "natural" self. Personally(and I hate to say it), I think Ed McMann will take over Casey's job since he substitutes alot for him.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It may be too soon to talk about this, and it may have been discussed here before. But, who do you think would replace him permanently when he does. I personally have thought about this a lot and here is the one conclusion I keep coming back to....to leave AT40 in the hands of a relative countdown newcomer is a mistake(i.e. Shadoe Stevens)I think. However, what about this; since he is the most listened to countdown DJ in America, and his show is owned by the same company as AT40. Wouldn't Premiere consider making Rick Dees the host of AT40? It would cut production cost in half(going from two shows to one) and he is a well known radio personality. What do you think? Is it possible?

Re: Re: Hypothetical: When Casey retires

I'd be willing to agree with you, except if AT40's first time around is any indication he won't replace him. Charlie Van Dyke sat in for Casey most of the time and ABC said he couldn't carry the show as the main host.

Replying to:

The answer is NO for 2 reasons: 1) He already has his own show to deal with and 2) I don't like him doing his acts. That's how AT40 got slammed in the early 90's because of Shadoe Stevens because they wouldn't let him be his "natural" self. Personally(and I hate to say it), I think Ed McMann will take over Casey's job since he substitutes alot for him.

Replying to:

Personally I liked Shdoe Stevens. Why not give him the opurtunity to do something he's done already on The Original Countdown Show?

Replying to:

Re: Re: Hypothetical: When Casey retires

The thing is even if you liked him, he would not do it again. It's a long story, but after Casey left, he had no creatvie input over the show.

If you'd like the full details, read the book "American Top 40" by Rob Durkee.

Replying to:

Personally I liked Shdoe Stevens. Why not give him the opurtunity to do something he's done already on The Original Countdown Show?

Replying to:

When not if casey k retires

Ed McMahon isn't the answer Shadoe kinda missed his chance. Why not introduce a woman (Oh my God! A woman radio personality! How ingenious!) Casey and her could do the at40 for a couple of weeks and then he can formally and officially sign off and wish the best for the woman(or man if he replaces ck) I work for radio and i know it's about time for him to retire by listening to inconsistencies(i know that's spelled wrong) and lack of new and original material. It's not like we don't love him but the guy lights cigars with c-notes! Plus, a new person will refresh(or ultimately kill) at40. What do you think?

Replying to:

Casey will not retire !!

If he goes, the show goes with him.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Hypothetical: When Casey retires

I like Ed McMann. C'mon he's not Casey, but he has a GREAT voice, its nice and soothing, and he does a good job of subbing in (unlike Pat O'Brien)

Replying to:

I'd be willing to agree with you, except if AT40's first time around is any indication he won't replace him. Charlie Van Dyke sat in for Casey most of the time and ABC said he couldn't carry the show as the main host.

Replying to:

Replying to:

I'm new here, but here's a discussion from a while ago that I'd like to comment on.

Ed McMann is a decent guest host, as is Ryan Seacrest, who has also been doing a bit of guest hosting.

If there's gonna be a new host, he/she had better have a feel for all three formats. Ryan Seacrest does fine on AT40, but quite frankly he sucks when it comes to Adult Contemporary (he played a disco song as an AT20 Extra). I assume Premiere's not gonna separate the AT20 shows from AT40, so the hypothetical host should be comfortable with AC and Hot AC as well as Pop.

Here's my solution;

Leave Ryan Seacrest at AT40. He fits right in there.

As for the AC shows, they can keep Ed McMahn. I don't want him on AT40 at all.

Talk today that Ryan is set to take over AT40 this January!

12/10/03..... in todays news-Ryan Seacrest taking over for Casey starting Jan 8,2004 is Casey retiring? or did he get released of his duties??