American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board

Discuss AT40/20 and Chart information with fellow fans!

American Top 40/Top 20 Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Re: 1980 and 1981 shows nixed?

I think one of the reasons that the Flashback show decided to eliminate the shows from 1980 and 1981 is the hassle of editing out the Archives feature, which lasted through 1980 and most of 1981. I believe that the last show with an Archive was sometime in November, 1981, which only leaves one month in 1981 with no Archives. They probably decided to just eliminate that month and start in 1982. I wonder if they'll run the 1/16/82 show, since that's the first show that they could possibly air (1/2/82 would be out, since that was Part 2 of the 1981 year end show and a guest host was on 1/9/81. Since they ran the first airable show of 1980 earlier this year, it's entirely possible.

Anyway, this was just a speculation. I believe they ran the archives feature until the show was cut back to three hours (which meant two shows with the feature, based on the listing of shows. Those would be 1/10/81 and 2/2/80).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

the reasoning behind this is most likely 82-89 is really the mtv video generation whereas 80/81 music didnt have that yet even though mtv launched in mid81 it doesnt make sense i know those years had some great music this is the only thing i can think of any other thoughts?

Replying to:

According to Ev's website, 1980 & 1981 are OUT of the flashback roster leaving only 1982-1988 as their years to use on the FB shows. This may actually increase the list of FB stations because they play 90% of the songs from those years anyway.

Replying to:

I recently heard on another message board that AT40 Flashback will no longer run shows from 1980 or 1981. Can someone confirm this? I think it's just plain wrong if they've decided to nix these shows, since they're the ones that many people I know want to hear.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1980 and 1981 shows nixed?

actually, editing out the archives portion of those '80 and '81 shows shouldn't be very difficult with today's digital technology. by the way, I thought that was a GREAT feature of at40. anyway, the most likely reason '80 and '81 shows were omitted was the music itself. would you really want to hear anne murray doing "blessed are the believers?" howabout don williams "I believe in you?" yuk!

remember charlie dore's "pilot of the airwaves?"

there were some good tunes from that era, but the music content clearly improved in '82 and '83, probably due to the onset of mtv. anyway, its too bad no station in connecticut carries the flashback show. i'd REALLY like to hear some at40's from the first two years or so...from july 1970 thru about mid 1972. by the way, I started listening to at40 in february '71 when wdrc in hartford began airing it. you could really hear the passion casey had for his program in those early days even though it took the show about two years to just break even!

Replying to:

I think one of the reasons that the Flashback show decided to eliminate the shows from 1980 and 1981 is the hassle of editing out the Archives feature, which lasted through 1980 and most of 1981. I believe that the last show with an Archive was sometime in November, 1981, which only leaves one month in 1981 with no Archives. They probably decided to just eliminate that month and start in 1982. I wonder if they'll run the 1/16/82 show, since that's the first show that they could possibly air (1/2/82 would be out, since that was Part 2 of the 1981 year end show and a guest host was on 1/9/81. Since they ran the first airable show of 1980 earlier this year, it's entirely possible.

Anyway, this was just a speculation. I believe they ran the archives feature until the show was cut back to three hours (which meant two shows with the feature, based on the listing of shows. Those would be 1/10/81 and 2/2/80).

Replying to:

the reasoning behind this is most likely 82-89 is really the mtv video generation whereas 80/81 music didnt have that yet even though mtv launched in mid81 it doesnt make sense i know those years had some great music this is the only thing i can think of any other thoughts?

Replying to:

According to Ev's website, 1980 & 1981 are OUT of the flashback roster leaving only 1982-1988 as their years to use on the FB shows. This may actually increase the list of FB stations because they play 90% of the songs from those years anyway.

Replying to:

I recently heard on another message board that AT40 Flashback will no longer run shows from 1980 or 1981. Can someone confirm this? I think it's just plain wrong if they've decided to nix these shows, since they're the ones that many people I know want to hear.