Return to Website

James Byrd Fan Forum

This forum is for the discussion of James Byrd and any other topics that come into your mind.

New questions directed to Byrd may upon occassion be selected for placement on the "Ask Byrd" section of the website if we find them of general interest to fans".

Forum: James Byrd Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Strings on your Super Avianti

I was just wondering what gauge/brand of stings you guys use on your Super Aviantis?

I have been using Boomer 10s till th eother day, I put on some DR pure blues, and I gotta say it's sounding pretty sweet. I'd say it sounds a bit more 'refined' than the Boomers.

Email  
Re: Strings on your Super Avianti

From the "Ask Byrd" archives...

For years now, I have endorsed GHS strings. I use GHS Boomers, and the gauges are custom sets, put together for me by them.

The gauges are: 050, 038, 028, 016, 011, 009.

I arrived at these gauges because I need a tight rhythm sound, and using heavy strings on the bottom enables me to play aggressively and fast without having the strings flopping around under a very heavy pick.

Re: Re: Strings on your Super Avianti

Yeah, I remember talking to Byrd about strings, I remember him saying that he's been endorsed and has been using GHS Boomers for many years. Personally I think different brand strings actually do sound different ... I know "someone" disagrees with that assertion, but I still hear a difference.

Boomers are great on the Avianti, but I discovered that DR Pure Blues still get the big,thick lows of the Boomers but the highs are warmer and not as 'wild'. I think they both sound and feel excellent, just slightly different.

Anyway,
I was just wondering which strings Super Avianti Owners / players use, do you use Boomers, Andy?

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Strings on your Super Avianti

Nope, I tend to use Fender pure nickel 150s or Ernie Ball's if I can't get the Fenders.

Andy - webmaster
www.jamesbyrd.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Strings on your Super Avianti

I use 9-42 Ernie Ball super slinky's on mine, as I do on all my guitars. I heard the Fender pure nickel give a somewhat darker/fuller sound, so I might check them out one day.

BTW, I love my SA, keep your heads up for a review!

Cheers
Frank, proud SA owner!!!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com