Return to Website

James Byrd Fan Forum

This forum is for the discussion of James Byrd and any other topics that come into your mind.

New questions directed to Byrd may upon occassion be selected for placement on the "Ask Byrd" section of the website if we find them of general interest to fans".

Forum: James Byrd Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Hot Plate Heaven

Howdy folks,

I Just wanted to share an experience that surprised me in my search for the right tone recently:

I have a '76 MK2 Super Lead that I recently took in for some work; mainly to have it returned to a stock configuration and have a 'cap job', rebias and new tubes. The amp had a Master Volume mod which I had removed as well too. The idea is to run the Marshall with a hot plate directly into one of my 4x12's - I first heard about using a hot plate from James explaining his setup here - thanks! I liked my Marshall with the Master Volume mod, but something wasn't quite right. The distortion was very 'tight' with lots of clear little jagged peaks for teeth, but I wanted to hear more space between the peaks and the peaks themselves to be softer.

The sound that's always stuck in my mind has been a combination between Uli's solo on 'Top Of The Bill' & that first chord James hits after his solo on 'The Hunted Heritic'; somewhere between these two sounds is where I wanted to be.

So while my Marshall is in the shop, I decided to run my little 40 watt tube (6L6 duet) Pignose with the hot plate into the 4x12. I had never heard the Pignose wide open, but what a surprise! The amp has great power tube distortion and with the hot plate's bass boost on it sounds nice & thick with a smooth breakup. Even with only 40 watts, the amp has plenty of muscle and brings me closer than ever to having a great tone!

I guess my point here is that it didn't take a kilobuck amp to get a great sound as much as it was being able to let the tube circuitry come into it's own through the use of a hot plate :)

cheers
Dave

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com