Return to Website

James Byrd Fan Forum

This forum is for the discussion of James Byrd and any other topics that come into your mind.

New questions directed to Byrd may upon occassion be selected for placement on the "Ask Byrd" section of the website if we find them of general interest to fans".

Forum: James Byrd Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
amplifier guidance

whats up
I've just won a Digitech gsp 2101 studio tube preamp processor and a digitech ONE foot controller with midi cable from ebay, and I need an amp to run through. Now, i have never owned anything with tubes, always solid state, but my amp fried so I want to go to tubes because they just sound better, and the tube thing is gonna be new to me. i wanted to ask what you think about what tube amp would go good with my guitar and pickups to get good clean tones and death metal style distortions.
I have an Ibanez RG 7-string with DiMarzio Blaze bridge pickup humbuckers, that i had put in, and stocked dimarzio neck hum buckers (I don't know the model). I get ****loads of feedback out of the blazes which is annoying as hell so i turn the volume to half on the guitar. so if you have any advice on that, I could use it, and i've already gone down the noise gate route.

now, what i am looking to do is either:

(1)get a tube amp with both clean channel and distortion channel with reverb control on the amp itself. But i want the distortion channel to sound ****in evil as hell with my guitar/pickup (especially the blaze pickups in the neck position). I want this even before i hook up the gsp 2101 with the Digitech ONE foot controller. so i can get a really good amp distortion just to have as another option. the clean channel especially has to be good because that is what i plan to run the 2101 through so its gotta sound clean. But the distortion has gotta be metal. do you know of any amps that would fit with my guitar to utilize this, with the reverb control and possibly the option to turn off the reverb if the time should arise.

(2)the other option i'm contemplating is just getting a good power tube amp, and running the gsp 2101 through it and using soley the processor for all my tones. again this would have to click with my pickups. what are you're suggestions for any of these tube amps?

i don't want to buy from a music store because i don't have the money for brand new, i was going to look on ebay, or some kind of buying online thing,for an older amp, the only problem is that I can't test them out, which is really what is what i rely on when it comes to buying these kinds of things. this is why i need the advice, i can't test anything before i buy it. Its real hard to find a tube amp that has death metal tones and clean tones that are not brand new. I have tried the peavey XXX (brand new)but it didn't have a reverb on it. I guess that wouldn't matter considering i am getting the processor but i would just like to have it. this amp sounded good otherwise but was like 800-850 dollars. I also know that some tube amps don't mesh well with these style guitars for that death metal tone, so this is why i am so concerned. My friend has a marshal that is customized and daisey-chained to a custom built Dr.Z amp. both amps are tubed. he runs a les paul custom model guitar with some kind of upgraded pickups and the two amps together with his guitar is one of the sickest sounds i've ever heard or played. But, it wasn't my guitar. as soon as i plugged my guitar into these tubed amps, it sounded like absolute garbage.

Can you advise me at all on what amps to look for, both two channel amps with reverb, or option two which is to just get a good power tube amp?

Thankyou
kevin

Email   redascent513  
Re: amplifier guidance

whats up
I've just won a Digitech gsp 2101 studio tube preamp processor and a digitech ONE foot controller with midi cable from ebay, and I need an amp to run through. Now, i have never owned anything with tubes, always solid state, but my amp fried so I want to go to tubes because they just sound better, and the tube thing is gonna be new to me. i wanted to ask what you think about what tube amp would go good with my guitar and pickups to get good clean tones and death metal style distortions.
I have an Ibanez RG 7-string with DiMarzio Blaze bridge pickup humbuckers, that i had put in, and stocked dimarzio neck hum buckers (I don't know the model). I get ****loads of feedback out of the blazes which is annoying as hell so i turn the volume to half on the guitar. so if you have any advice on that, I could use it, and i've already gone down the noise gate route.

now, what i am looking to do is either:

(1)get a tube amp with both clean channel and distortion channel with reverb control on the amp itself. But i want the distortion channel to sound ****in evil as hell with my guitar/pickup (especially the blaze pickups in the neck position). I want this even before i hook up the gsp 2101 with the Digitech ONE foot controller. so i can get a really good amp distortion just to have as another option. the clean channel especially has to be good because that is what i plan to run the 2101 through so its gotta sound clean. But the distortion has gotta be metal. do you know of any amps that would fit with my guitar to utilize this, with the reverb control and possibly the option to turn off the reverb if the time should arise.

(2)the other option i'm contemplating is just getting a good power tube amp, and running the gsp 2101 through it and using soley the processor for all my tones. again this would have to click with my pickups. what are you're suggestions for any of these tube amps?

i don't want to buy from a music store because i don't have the money for brand new, i was going to look on ebay, or some kind of buying online thing,for an older amp, the only problem is that I can't test them out, which is really what is what i rely on when it comes to buying these kinds of things. this is why i need the advice, i can't test anything before i buy it. Its real hard to find a tube amp that has death metal tones and clean tones that are not brand new. I have tried the peavey XXX (brand new)but it didn't have a reverb on it. I guess that wouldn't matter considering i am getting the processor but i would just like to have it. this amp sounded good otherwise but was like 800-850 dollars. I also know that some tube amps don't mesh well with these style guitars for that death metal tone, so this is why i am so concerned. My friend has a marshal that is customized and daisey-chained to a custom built Dr.Z amp. both amps are tubed. he runs a les paul custom model guitar with some kind of upgraded pickups and the two amps together with his guitar is one of the sickest sounds i've ever heard or played. But, it wasn't my guitar. as soon as i plugged my guitar into these tubed amps, it sounded like absolute garbage.

Can you advise me at all on what amps to look for, both two channel amps with reverb, or option two which is to just get a good power tube amp?

Thankyou
kevin

Hi Kevin

This is a really long question with what you will probably think is a very short answer. Never the less, here it is:

I did a quick Google of the Digitech gsp 2101 so I knew what it was and what it did.

Forget about buying a tube amp for tone. Unless you want to use the Digitech gsp 2101 as a paperweight, and just plug your guitar into a tube amp, it doesn't make sense. Not only will you get ZERO benefit from running out of this device and into a tube amp, it's probably going to sound like complete crap to be honest.

The whole point of a tube guitar amp, is to interface the guitar with the amp, period. They're not intended to amplify a signal which has been "processed". If you'd like a detailed explanation, it's already on my site in reply to "Walt", the third question down from here:
http://www.jamesbyrd.com/askbyrd.htm#fx

Maybe this is good news? If you like the sound of the Digitech, well, go by yourself a good, clean, solid state stereo power amp and amplify it. That saves you a lot of coin. Otherwise, I'd suggest you pretty much start all over again and forget about the Digitech.

Best to You -B

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com