THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
US Acli Match Highlights

Not that any of our players will be in a rush to watch them, but I won't have highlights of the 2-0 defeat to US Acli online until the weekend as I used the match to experiment with HDV (1440 x 1080 High Definition) filming and editing instead of the normal Standard 720 x 576 Definition that I have been using for years.

For those who are interested in the workflow, I have filmed in HDV from my Canon XHA1 camera on a few previous occasions over the past 5 years, but it has always proved to be too difficult to edit the footage because my editing laptop (and PC) was never powerful enough to cope with the increased file sizes.
I now have a new (Windows 8.1) quad-core laptop with 6GB RAM though, so it's now time to start experimenting again.
The biggest problem is that the camera is old and tape-based instead of using CF or SDHC cards to record onto...and all new laptops only take cards and USB 3.0 (from portable hard drives) for capturing video footage. The camera (and my Firestore portable hard drive that I have been using with it for years) use a firewire lead to transfer footage instead. My Windows 7 (triple core, 4GB RAM) PC has a firewire port, so the footage therefore has to go into there first, then be wirelessly transmitted via my home network from there to my laptop...unless I copy it into an external hard drive from the PC via firewire and then USB 3.0 it out from there into the laptop, which of course takes a lot longer.
The problem I have already encountered from the Wi-Fi transmission is dropped frames and a consequently corrupted file though, and because of that it has taken me nearly two days of tearing my hair out trying to find out why my new editing program (Corel Video Studio X6 Ultimate) kept crashing !

Another thing that I am still experimenting with is the actual file types and what format to upload to You Tube. Unlike the numerous cheap full HD (1920 x 1080) palmcorders that are about nowadays which record and then upload to You Tube in 720p (progressive scan), my professional camera records only HDV (1440 x 1080) instead, and they are Upper Field First (interlaced) .m2t files, which are a bugger to edit and need to be converted to 'God knows what' before they go on You Tube. To edit .m2t files, you have to use something called Smart Proxy, otherwise it will just freeze and crash the program/laptop. Converting the files by Smart Proxy for editing involves more rendering time.

If I can get everything edited how I want it to, the You Tube highlights will be a far superior quality to what I have been uploading for the last 4 years, particularly in getting rid of the interlacing that causes the flickering and jerkiness. That's because I have traditionally uploaded standard mpeg2's as Lower Field First instead of frame-based/progressive scan...because my camera shoots standard DV as Type-1 (Lower Field First). I couldn't be bothered to re-render it.

I need to keep up with the times, but there is still a lot of experimenting to do.
I will let everyone know on here when the US Acli highlights are online and viewable though.

Re: US Acli Match Highlights

Highlights (in HD) are now online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_qaF6kNEM0

They are definitely an improvement, particularly where the titles and graphics come out much sharper. There are one or two glitches now and again where the FAT32 files from my Firestore portable hard-drive have not joined up properly, thereby resulting in a missing frame for a split second, while filming in a 1/120 shutter speed in order to grab clearer still-frame shots still makes the action too 'flickery', so there's still a few more things to work on. However, it will do for now and I'll give HDV filming another try this Sunday against AC Enfield.

The highlights look particularly good when watching them on an i-phone by the way...and probably an i-pad ?