THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Training This Wednesday (13th November)

Just to confirm that we definitely have no match this coming Sunday (17th November) because all other teams in our Division that we have not yet played Away from home are playing in Cup matches. (Of course we are out of all three).
We can't use Hazelwood for a Friendly either because St. Mary's (the team we share with) are at Home in a Cup match.
Obviously if a team from another division or another League have a pitch and want to play us in a Friendly this Sunday, then we will take it (as long as it is not too far away). I can't see that happening at the moment though.
We could have a training session instead, but I don't know where. There won't be any pitches/goalposts we can use because they will all be in use for matches.

Anyway, training is definitely ON this Wednesday night as I now have my car back and Trevor is not watching Arsenal on TV !
We are expecting a big turnout including Riaz's mates, and I will be signing them up if they bring their photos, even though we had a squad of 15 turn up on Sunday. We still need some more players who actually want to play as defenders.
...and by the way, I accept the criticism regarding myself, Trevor (and Barney ?) not organising training well enough recently. We do need to get the warm-ups started before we go on and we do need to have some pre-planned drills once we get on the pitch and then vary things a bit more. I'm not sure whether I will have time myself to pre-plan anything before Wednesday night, but hopefully Trevor (and Barney if he is coming) will.

Also, I won't have yesterday's match with Continental edited and online until Friday or Saturday this week (instead of Wednesday). I have got too much paid work on which I have to do first.

Re: Training This Wednesday (13th November)

Laurence Hughes
...and by the way, I accept the criticism regarding myself, Trevor (and Barney ?) not organising training well enough recently. We do need to get the warm-ups started before we go on and we do need to have some pre-planned drills once we get on the pitch and then vary things a bit more. I'm not sure whether I will have time myself to pre-plan anything before Wednesday night, but hopefully Trevor (and Barney if he is coming) will.

It's difficult to do anything in terms of a warm up when you have 5 or 6 people there at 8.40, and everyone else drifting along between 8.45 and 9.30! If people make an effort to get there on time, and actually get changed and show willing to have a warm-up, rather than chatting, then it would be a lot easier to do.

For the training session, I'm not a coach, so I'm not really in a position to do anything too structured, but if we don't have a keeper there, I think the best thing to do is maybe 20 minutes of drills, then go into a cross pitch 2 or 3 touch game. OK, so it won't improve us tactically, but it helps with touch and fitness and is a lot more enjoyable than some of the things we've done. We need to keep people coming throughout the winter when it's wet / cold, so I think making it enjoyable is one of the most important aspects.

Daley just phoned me and said he will be there this Wednesday. He can't train at the moment because of injury but he has some ideas for different drills.
As Barney says, as long as people stop talking when they turn up and we get on with things, then we can have a good session as long we have some people there with some good ideas of things to do.

I know some players have to shoot off straight away at 10.00.p.m. because they 'have to get up early for work in the morning ', but there's nothing to stop us going in the bar/clubhouse for 30 minutes when the lights go out at 10 pm.
We have actually paid to use the changing rooms & bar, but we never do !
We can then have a chat about things there instead of trying to find each other in the pitch-black car park afterwards or wasting time when we all turn up !

I can come a long if it will help?

Jacko
I can come a long if it will help?
Probably best you text Trev, Jacko. He may not have time to look on here.