THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
10 Men

We only had 10 men this morning against Cheshunt Town and not surprisingly we ended up losing 7-2. We were 7-0 down until Jack Bangs scored two goals in Injury Time ! We are now bottom of the Division One table and are playing Continental in our next match, who in my opinion are the best team in the division.
We also very nearly only had 10 men the week before.

In my opinion, I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that we are now going to have to scrap the club rule whereby players must either look on the Forum or text or phone Trevor to see if they are in the squad. There are just so many players ignoring that rule that we now have no option but to do what every other Sunday club does whereby the Manager phones and speaks to all players the day before each match to tell them if they are in the squad or not and what the likelihood is of them getting a game. (That is for players who are not at training of course, or who disappear as soon as the lights go out before Trevor can speak to them ! ).
We can still name the squad on the Forum, but it's basically now a case that pretty much all players are going to have to be phoned or texted on a Saturday just to double-check they are still playing.

If Trevor is unwilling to do that, then either I will have to take over as Manager and stop filming the games, or we appoint Garry Cover as Manager...who I'm sure would love to do the job !? We can't appoint Terry Moore as Manager because he can no longer attend training and is retiring at the end of this season, and I am pretty sure that Barney does not want to do it either.

If Garry becomes Manager, he may well phone players to tell them if they are in the squad or not, but I suspect his Management style would be completely different to Trevor's. He will be doing man-for-man marking from corners for a start, and he will be bollocking players if they make mistakes (like he did today, even though it was not their fault we only had 10 men). That is the style of most Managers because they think a 'rocket' is better than just saying 'Unlucky. Head Up'. In most cases it works, but whether it would for our players remains to be seen. One player already appears to have left because of it (after Garry blamed him for something in the Upshire Reserves game...and Garry didn't exactly shout at him !)

Obviously not all the excuses for missing this morning's match were poor/dubious. We had a lot of players crying off through illness, and in fact there was at least one team in our League who couldn't field a team at all today, presumably because of that. I bet their Manager phoned them all to check how many players they had though instead of just assuming that they had all seen the squad online somewhere