THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Squad for Sunday 3rd Nov (Away to Cheshunt Town) & Training This Wednesday

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/football-cliches/2013/oct/31/talking-language-sunday-league-football?CMP=twt_gu

Funny link

Seen it. Several months ago actually.
Adam Hurrey (who wrote it) plays for one of my regular customers for filming Cup Finals (The Ship FC from West London). His brother Ollie is (or was) their Secretary and is one of my Facebook friends.

That article is getting massive publicity at the moment. It's everywhere you look on Facebook & Twitter.

Regarding No.8 on that list ('Away'), I remember in one of our matches, our goalkeeper at the time, Stavros Elia, shouted to one of our defenders who was in possession of the ball 'Go away'...meaning kick the ball away downfield. The defender (can't remember who it was) thought Stav meant go away as in walk away and leave the ball to him ! Cue a panicked last-ditch clearance by Stav just as a forward was about to score from the loose ball.

Can't see 'Lino' or 'Can Ya ?' on that list.

I have been out working all day today (Saturday), so I have no idea if any players have phoned/texted Trevor to say if they are playing or not...apart from Hagan, who is ill and will not be playing. I only knew that because he copied me in.
Jack Tompkins put on Teamer yesterday that he is not playing either, so that means Garry or Barney will be in goal.

I advise Junior, TJ and any other registered players who want to play to phone/text Trevor in the morning on 07894 961484 to see if they are needed.
There are at least 6 players in the squad who were either not at training or who disappeared when the lights went out at 10.00.p.m. I therefore have no idea if they are playing tomorrow or if they know where we are playing.

I have told Lee and Martin that I will give them a lift from Edmonton Green, but they both have no money to pay their subs. I have told them not to worry about that because we will probably be short of players, but they have not replied yet. At the moment, there is no guarantee they will play tomorrow.