THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for Sunday 27th October Away to Asianos

After a week off, we now play our most important match of the season so far in the London FA Sunday Junior Cup when we travel to Wanstead Flats this Sunday to face Asianos.
At least we assume it is Wanstead Flats we are playing at, as Asianos have not confirmed the match yet. I am only going by what it says on their League website. We should have confirmation before we train this coming Wednesday night though.

Now here's a pointer to what we are up against this Sunday. Yesterday, Flamstead End (the second best team in our League) lost 7-1 to KOPA League side New Salamis in the FA National Sunday Cup. Last season, New Salamis were knocked out the FA National Sunday Cup by Manor House, who are currently below Asianos in the Independent South Essex Sunday League Premier Division table. Asianos are currently top of that Premier Division table with a 100% record.
Here are Asianos's registered players (if you scroll down the page a bit). One of them (Marvin Hamilton) plays for Eastbourne Borough in Conference South, while another (Zubair Haleem) plays for Redbridge in the Ryman League. I have not had time to Google Search all their players, but I suspect they have several more who are either playing in the Ryman League or the Essex Senior League on Sundays.

At the moment we have some players getting seriously pissed off with our run of 8 defeats in our last 9 matches and blaming each other for 'not playing the right tactics' and/or for 'not passing the ball to them the way they want'. Instead of threatening to leave, why not show some bottle and test yourselves against a team like this ?
We know we have good enough players individually to beat anybody on our day (or at least give them an extremely close game) if we all get behind each other and stop moaning. We have done it before in London Cup matches over the last 10 years against some of the best Sunday League sides there have ever been in the London FA and we can do it again if everybody can make an effort to play...whether they are half-injured or not !

If anybody genuinely cannot play in this match, they MUST let us know before training on Wednesday night so that Trevor can pick a squad straight afterwards.

As for lifts to the venue, I will not be bringing my ladder/platform to film from as it looks like the pitches are only a yard apart (like at Enfield Playing Fields) and also a long way from the car park & changing rooms. I can therefore give a couple of players a lift from Edmonton Green if necessary.

Re: Squad for Sunday 27th October Away to Asianos

Laurence Hughes
I have not had time to Google Search all their players, but I suspect they have several more who are either playing in the Ryman League or the Essex Senior League on Sundays.

Here's another one...Josh Coulson plays for Cambridge United, who are currently top of the Conference (National Division). Surely he is on contract there though

So why exactly are they in the Junior Cup?

Barney
Typical London F.A.

Apparently the London FA Sunday Cup entrants are all seeded by a Committee who are supposed to know who the strongest sides in London are and put them in the appropriate Cups. They get about 60-70% right, but it appears Asianos have slipped the net because they were only playing in the Ford Departmental Sunday League last season. That is traditionally a weak League...we once beat the best team in that (Ford Zetec) 8-1 in the Sunday Junior Cup about 12 years ago...so presumably the London FA Committee thought Asianos should go in the Junior this season (instead of the Intermediate or even the Challenge Cup) just because of that.

The only way this sort of thing can be avoided is for the Committee to look at each teams' registered players and see what level they have played at on a Saturday, but obviously that is too impractical. Teams are always going to enter the lowest Cup because there is more chance of them winning it.
Last year's winners Seven Acre & Sidcup are another example. The Committee only looked at what division they were in the previous season, but they were all Step 5 players from Saturday football (Kent League) and last season they became the best team in the top division of their League.

Isn't there an 'infant' tournament that would be more fitting for us?

Just spoke to Asianos to confirm the game.
We are on Pitch 17 and changing in the Aldersbrook Road changing rooms next to an Esso petrol station, so ignore what it says at the moment on the Forthcoming Fixtures page. We are not in the Capel Road changing rooms where Barney plays his Church League matches.
The postcode for the Aldersbrook Road changing rooms is E12 5HH.

Here is a pitch map, although that 'Dell' area that was out of use in 2011-2012 might now be playable for all I know, so the pitch numbers might have changed. Can any of our players from the Church League find out ?

Laurence Hughes
Barney
Typical London F.A.

Apparently the London FA Sunday Cup entrants are all seeded by a Committee who are supposed to know who the strongest sides in London are and put them in the appropriate Cups. They get about 60-70% right, but it appears Asianos have slipped the net because they were only playing in the Ford Departmental Sunday League last season. That is traditionally a weak League...we once beat the best team in that (Ford Zetec) 8-1 in the Sunday Junior Cup about 12 years ago...so presumably the London FA Committee thought Asianos should go in the Junior this season (instead of the Intermediate or even the Challenge Cup) just because of that.

The only way this sort of thing can be avoided is for the Committee to look at each teams' registered players and see what level they have played at on a Saturday, but obviously that is too impractical. Teams are always going to enter the lowest Cup because there is more chance of them winning it.
Last year's winners Seven Acre & Sidcup are another example. The Committee only looked at what division they were in the previous season, but they were all Step 5 players from Saturday football (Kent League) and last season they became the best team in the top division of their League.

There are too many strong teams in the junior cup. Its been that way for ages.
Lol I think its very doubtful that its Josh Coulson from Cambridge. He came through their Centre of Excellence and has been a regular in the first team for about four years. He is one of the more important players there as he come up through the ranks. Its doubtful he would be playing for asianos.
He definately has a contract at Cambs.

If Trevor plays with a false nine we can beat them.

Laurence Hughes
Just spoke to Asianos to confirm the game.
We are on Pitch 17 and changing in the Aldersbrook Road changing rooms next to an Esso petrol station, so ignore what it says at the moment on the Forthcoming Fixtures page. We are not in the Capel Road changing rooms where Barney plays his Church League matches.
The postcode for the Aldersbrook Road changing rooms is E12 5HH.
Full details of how to get to the Aldersbrook Road changing rooms are now on the Forthcoming Fixtures page.

Gazza

If Trevor plays with a false nine we can beat them.

Finger my fucking spiders ring hole.......

Firstly..... ah fuck it....

Unfortunately (or fortunately ?), Trevor is not going to play Sam Allardyce's 'false nine' formation as he said at training last night that he is definitely playing either the usual 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-3-3/4-5-1 depending on who turns up in time for the kick-off.

He has named a squad of 16 as follows:
Jack Tompkins (GK)
Garry Cover (GK/Outfield)
Terry Moore
George Stahlmann
Lexton Harrison
Ali 'TJ' Sowe
Martin Cruickshank
Krishan Singh
Danny Hagan
Daniel Cascoe
Ryan Foreman
Junior Brown
Leon McKenzie-McKay
John Scouller
Jack Bangs
Daniel Daley

Out of those 16 though, Danny Hagan has not yet confirmed that he has recovered from a knee injury which he picked up playing for Norsemen last Saturday, while several others will have to be chased up as they were unable to attend training last night and/or the week before because of work commitments, so we have therefore not seen them for two weeks (since we last had a match). If they don't want to use Teamer to reply 'Yes' or 'No' when they get the automated message later today, then they will need to text myself or Trevor to confirm they are available.
The players in question are Hagan, TJ, Cascoe, Terry, George & Martin.

As for players not in the squad at the moment, Alan Barnard has been left out at his own request because he is still struggling with a thigh strain, although he will be there to watch/act as Club Lino (if the Ref wants one) on Sunday and will obviously play if we have less than eleven there at the kick-off. Lexton confirmed last night that turning up after the kick-off is still going to be an ongoing problem because of having to wait for his sister to babysit for him, so that and Hagan's possible absence is why a squad of 16 has been named.
The only other registered player at training last night was Adam Krstic, so if we are down to 13 players (including Barney) by Saturday night, then Adam can come into the squad if he is available.

As for lifts to the venue, if Lexton is still waiting for his babysitter at 9.15'ish, then John Scouller will have to give Junior a lift in addition to Leon. It should take about 30 minutes to get to Wanstead Flats from Brimsdown (going A1055/A406/A12).
Terry will need to pick up George & Jack Tompkins.
Trevor will pick up Jack Bangs.
I will pick up Martin (if he is playing). If Daley needs a lift from me at Edmonton Green, he MUST get there by 9.00.a.m.

Krishan & Ryan both seemed a bit unsure last night of where Wanstead Flats is. Ryan asked if it was 'the place where there are loads of flats' (as in high-rise tower blocks !?), but I somehow think Wanstead Flats is so named because it is very flat land round there, so I suspect Ryan is thinking of somewhere else !
Simple directions for everybody then... Look for the 'Green Man Interchange' on the A12 (somewhere in-between the North Circular & Stratford) then turn off there onto the A114 to Forest Gate and Manor Park. Keep following the signs to Manor Park (A114, then A116) and look for an Esso Service Station on the right, then a bus stop just after that. The car park entrance is just before the bus stop.

As for the weather forecast at the moment, yes it is horrendous with thunderstorms and gale-force winds on Sunday morning, but as far as I know the drainage is very good at Wanstead Flats and the game will definitely be ON !

Finally, don't forget the clocks go BACK an hour on Saturday night, so let's hope Lexton's sister can forget to put her clock back and turns up to babysit for him at the time she is actually supposed to !

I'll be ok for Sunday just about. One other thing, where exactly is this ground? Is the esso garage in question near chicken Charlie's fried chicken shop?

Hagan
I'll be ok for Sunday just about. One other thing, where exactly is this ground? Is the esso garage in question near chicken Charlie's fried chicken shop?
Ask TJ or Cascoe. They'll know !

Laurence Hughes

As for the weather forecast at the moment, yes it is horrendous with thunderstorms and gale-force winds on Sunday morning,

According to the BBC website that is the forecast for Monday with 70 - 80 mph winds.

Sunday morning is heavy rain and 16 mph winds - still pretty bad but not as negative as Laurence's forecast.

Hagan

Fuck me!!! Brilliant!!! If the chicken shop in question played some rare groove triple step rug munching, then I'm Lol would know.....

Trevor Hughes
Laurence Hughes
As for the weather forecast at the moment, yes it is horrendous with thunderstorms and gale-force winds on Sunday morning,
According to the BBC website that is the forecast for Monday with 70 - 80 mph winds.

Sunday morning is heavy rain and 16 mph winds - still pretty bad but not as negative as Laurence's forecast.
Nope. This is what it will be like on Sunday morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRHAcQh7EQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=283

You wait and see.

Just a warning that Jack Tompkins has dropped out...I don't know why...and I have heard nothing from George, Martin, TJ or Cascoe as to whether they are playing or not. I also have no idea how Daley is getting there and of course Lexton might have to drop out at the last minute if his sister does not turn up to babysit.
Unless these players confirm their availabilty, then we might end up with just a bare eleven or even less, including Barney (injured) in goal and Garry as an outfield player.

TJ is not playing either (according to Teamer).
Martin is available though and I will be picking him up. Still heard nothing from the others, so it still looks likely that Barney will be needed...injured or not !

I need to borrow someone spare size nine boots 2mo mine boots are cook and out of shape

Daley
I need to borrow someone spare size nine boots 2mo mine boots are cook and out of shape
I wear size 9, but they are 30 years old and very uncomfortable !

Apparently John Scouller has flu and will almost certainly not be playing tomorrow. If he has arranged to give anybody a lift, then we have a problem.

Lee King has got in touch to say he would like to come along tomorrow and play if needed. He is registered, so I have told him I will pick him up with Martin. Just waiting for him to confirm. We definitely won't have 14 without him.

Cascoe says he 'doesn't think he will be able to make it' tomorrow (at the moment), which will presumably mean no lift for Leon ?

Daley is getting a lift off Krishan & Ryan but he still needs a pair of boots, otherwise he will have to use mine.

Even though the clocks are going back tonight, not forward, I do have a nasty feeling at the moment that this is going to be one of those days when we only have about 5 or 6 players there for the kick-off and we have to concede the match.
I do hope I am wrong, as that will be a massive fine from the London F.A. !

I am available I've already spoke to Terry to get a lift. Been in Tenerife for the past week so haven't been on it with emails/teamer

I am picking up Leon, Martin & Lee at Edmonton Green at 9.00.a.m.
It will be a bit of a squeeze getting them all in, but it's best to be on the safe side in case Cascoe, John & Lexton are not playing. At the moment I have no idea if any of them are coming.