THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre-Season Friendly - Sunday 1st September

I have started a new thread for this so that it is easier to find.

We need another Pre-Season Friendly this coming Sunday as the League have now suddenly told us that the season will not be starting until the following week (8th September), but the short notice and the Bank Holiday Weekend has made it impossible to fix up anything so far.
I could phone Enfield Council today to try and get a pitch at Enfield Playing Fields, but the problem with that is we cannot afford to pay for it...the other two Pre-Season Friendlies over there were credits for postponenements at Hazelwood...especially as we may not be able to find any opponents in time.
There is no way we are going to get players coming along for a training session on Sunday, and even if they do, they will not pay £7.00-10.00 each to cover the cost of hiring a pitch. Personally, I think all the pitches will be booked up anyway. Most other local Leagues who also use Enfield Playing Fields are starting their fixtures this Sunday.

That means we are probably going to have to travel outside the Borough of Enfield to play a Friendly this Sunday, but I don't know where.
I have got to film Slough v. Cirencester in the FA Cup at 3.00.p.m., so I won't get there in time for that if we are playing in Essex. Also Trevor is going to Arsenal v. Spurs and he can't have us playing anywhere too far away from that.
I have put a request on Twitter but that's all I can do at the moment.

Re: Pre-Season Friendly - Sunday 1st September

I won't be there Lau I have a game for Norseman against EBOG at southbury leisure centre

I meant tonights training by the way....

Can't get anywhere at all with this at the moment I'm afraid.

Every team I have spoken to have already got a match arranged, so I have e-mailed Enfield Council asking for a pitch anywhere in the Borough that we will pay for ourselves. (A huge risk). I am still waiting for a reply, but I very much doubt that there will be a pitch available.
I was advised to do this by Terry yesterday as he says him and Barney will put the nets up, take them down and take them home...plus wash the kit, etc. so that I can go straight off to film Slough afterwards and Trev can go to Arsenal.
Barney doesn't know that yet though, as he doesn't come back from holiday until Saturday.

If we do manage to find a pitch, then we have to somehow try and find some opponents and a Referee, and we also need to find some players !
I am getting absolutely no response whatsoever from most of our players as to whether they are coming training tonight or not. If there are only five players there tonight (as I suspect there will be), then clearly we are not going to be able to field a team this Sunday.
Those five players who I am expecting there tonight are Terry, TJ, Jack Bangs, Martin Cruickshank and Francis Amankwah.
I am massively busy with work at the moment though, and I won't have time to chase teams up to play us, get a Referee, and text/phone players to let them know we are training tonight and to ask whether they are available this Sunday.

We have managed to get a pitch !
It is Pitch 14 at Enfield Playing Fields, but I have no idea which one that is. We have been told to go to the Donkey Lane end changing rooms as normal, but the pitch could be right up the other end near the Baseball pitch alongside Sketty Road or the one nearest the Southbury Leisure Centre Astroturfs.
That will definitely result in an 11.00 Kick-Off rather than 10.30 if we have to carry the nets and kit all that way, so I will have to stop filming our game if it is still being played after 12.30 as I won't get to Slough in time.

I will update on here if I can find any opponents.

Opponents sorted.

We are playing AFC Southgate. They are a Division Two side in our League.
I will update the Forthcoming Fixtures page on the website later with more details.