THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
League Meeting News

I went to the League Meeting earlier this evening and it was announced that the season will now start on Sunday 8th September, not the 1st. This is because Broxbourne Council are not putting their goalposts up until the 8th.
Fixtures are now online here: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/walthamleaguefixtures.html#DIVISIONONE
We have actually got our pitch at Hazelwood available on the 8th, but we have been put down to play Away to Continental because they use their pitch strictly alternate weeks and it is their week at home as well. That is massively frustrating that we cannot play at Hazelwood when it is in perfect condition, but there is not a lot that the League Fixture Secretary can do about it.

Also, the registration deadline to play on the 8th is Saturday 31st August, so that means players who have not yet given me their photos MUST turn up to training (with photos) this coming Wednesday night (28th).
Giving me photos on Sunday 1st September will mean they cannot play until the 15th.

I suggest we need another Pre-Season Friendly on the 1st September anyway so that we keep our match fitness ticking over, but I really don't want the hassle of putting nets up at Enfield Playing Fields yet again.
If any teams have a pitch available for the 1st September and want to play us, please let me know asap. (This includes teams from other Leagues).

Re: League Meeting News

Laurence Hughes
I went to the League Meeting earlier this evening and it was announced that the season will now start on Sunday 8th September, not the 1st. This is because Broxbourne Council are not putting their goalposts up until the 8th.
Fixtures are now online here: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/walthamleaguefixtures.html#DIVISIONONE
We have actually got our pitch at Hazelwood available on the 8th, but we have been put down to play Away to Continental because they use their pitch strictly alternate weeks and it is their week at home as well. That is massively frustrating that we cannot play at Hazelwood when it is in perfect condition, but there is not a lot that the League Fixture Secretary can do about it.

Also, the registration deadline to play on the 8th is Saturday 31st August, so that means players who have not yet given me their photos MUST turn up to training (with photos) this coming Wednesday night (28th).
Giving me photos on Sunday 1st September will mean they cannot play until the 15th.

I suggest we need another Pre-Season Friendly on the 1st September anyway so that we keep our match fitness ticking over, but I really don't want the hassle of putting nets up at Enfield Playing Fields yet again.
If any teams have a pitch available for the 1st September and want to play us, please let me know asap. (This includes teams from other Leagues).

Lawrence you may well think the playing fields is a pain but playing team from another league could be problem especially if their ground is far away. Could be a problem with lateness and non attendence.

Gazza
Lawrence you may well think the playing fields is a pain but playing team from another league could be problem especially if their ground is far away. Could be a problem with lateness and non attendence.

Well if players are going to be late and fail to attend at Enfield Playing Fields, it probably doesn't make any difference where we play.
No doubt you were expecting that answer, which was why you asked the question ?

Seriously though, we have to travel to an awkward venue to get to in Walthamstow for our Away London Cup match in October, so players need to get used to getting up a little bit earlier, then meeting and travelling.
Obviously the ideal Leagues to play teams from Away in a Friendly are the Barnet Sunday League or the East Herts Corinthian Sunday League as that wont be any further than Finchley to the West or Hertford/Ware to the North. They are easy places to get to on a Sunday morning...as are grounds just off the A406 North Circular down to Barking which are played on by teams from 2 or 3 different East London/Essex Sunday Leagues.

The Edmonton Sunday League will be playing League matches on the 1st September as far as I am aware, but even if they are not, their League don't allow their pitches (Firs Farm, Church Street Rec & the Barrass Surround/Jubilee Park) to be played on by teams from other Leagues. Edmonton Sunday League teams are only allowed to play Friendlies against each other (unless they can find a pitch that is not hired from the League).

...and another reason why we don't want to play at Enfield Playing Fields as our Home match (putting nets up) on Sunday 1st September is that I am filming Slough v. Cirencester in the FA Cup at 3.00.p.m.
(They ground-share at Beaconsfield Sycob FC who were also drawn at Home, which is why they have got to play on a Sunday).

Somebody else would have to take the nets & corner flags home with them after the match (in addition to all the kit, etc.) as I will be going straight to Beaconsfield.
Of course we could always travel to Beaconsfield (or somewhere near the North-West stretch of the M25) to play a Pre-Season Friendly in the morning ? Would be very handy for me !
I wouldn't be able to give players a lift there and back though.

Of course remember MyFC (who now sponsor Slough) very nearly sponsored us instead. I could probably fix up something where we are guests for the day at that Slough v. Cirencester match. Play a Slough-based Sunday side in the morning and watch the match in the afternoon, go in the boardroom for free drinks and food. Maybe MyFC pay for a minibus to get us there and back ?
Good day out. Good for team spirit ?

Only problem though is Arsenal v. Spurs at 4.00.p.m. !

Laurence Hughes

Which also means I will be leaving straight after the game!

Trevor Hughes
Laurence Hughes

Which also means I will be leaving straight after the game!

...and it also means that Terry or Barney will have to take the kit and wash it (as I can't take it to Beaconsfield and leave it stinking my car out for hours).

We really need a friendly otherwise we won't have played for 3 weeks when the season starts! We'll sort out the kit, nets whatever between us, won't be a problem

Terry
We really need a friendly otherwise we won't have played for 3 weeks when the season starts! We'll sort out the kit, nets whatever between us, won't be a problem
If you see your cousin over the weekend, can you give Allenburys a try ? See if they have got their pitch up there ? They are using it on the 8th for their first League match, so maybe the posts might be up on the 1st.