THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rovers Match From 1990 Now On You Tube !

I had a request recently from a player who played against us way back in 1990 for Everest. He wanted a DVD of the match as he could remember us filming it and running off a VHS (video) copy at the time for another one of their players.

As it was filmed the season before I started editing and producing the matches properly as a business, it needed a lot of re-editing before I could put it on DVD...I had to charge him £80...but he thought it was worthwhile because they beat us 4-0 and he scored a good goal himself.

While I was editing the footage, it really struck me how bad we were back then. We undoubtedly had some good individual players but there was no attempt to pass the ball around whatsoever and they were all arguing with each other a lot more than our current players do.
I have therefore now uploaded the match to You Tube so that our current players can see for themselves. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOERh-xZXWo

The wider-angle camerawork with a lot of sky in the picture was me because I was still learning how to film matches at the time and not confident enough to zoom in like I do nowadays. The wobbly camerwork (e.g. for their first goal) was done by Tim Beeden ! In those days we used to let anyone have a go at filming who was standing on the touchline. I had to come on as a sub towards the end of the game...and those shorts I was wearing are embarrassing !

Other things to look out for are the old changing rooms roof at Hazelwood that provided shelter when it rained...that was knocked down in the mid-90's.
Also the old groundsman sitting in his chair behind the goal watching the match. Can't remember his name, but he was a nice old boy who loved his job every Sunday until Enfield Council cruelly laid their Sunday morning groundstaff off and gave us the keys instead to save money ! They replaced him in the late-90's with somebody who had 'learning disabilities' before that happened.

Also...the oranges at half-time, the tight shorts, Dave Ashton's half-time team-talk, the time and space on the ball that players were given compared to the pace of our matches nowadays, and most laughably of all, that goal we let in from a corner. You can see why Trev scrapped Ashton's man-for-man marking system as soon as he took over ! Where was the man on the near post and how can we let someone have a free volley like that ?

Let us know what you think.

Re: Rovers Match From 1990 Now On You Tube !

I think that if I filmed part of a match that you have just sold for £80 I should be entitled to some kind of payment!

Re: Rovers Match From 1990 Now On You Tube !

Tim
I think that if I filmed part of a match that you have just sold for £80 I should be entitled to some kind of payment!

That must have been you who filmed that first goal though...just about !?
...and how comes you only got me kicking the ball twice when I came on as a sub ? I'm sure I had more touches than that !?