THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for 7-a-Side - Monday 13th May

Our first match this Summer is this coming Monday night (13th May) against K & M Old Boys.
It is an 8.00.p.m. Kick-Off, but as there is now a warm-up area instead of a 'grass mound', I suggest we get there by 7.45.p.m. at the latest and use it for a bit of running and stretching for 10-15 minutes...down the far end like we do for training. When we get on the actual pitch, we then have another 5 minutes warm-up before the kick-off, and that is when we should get in a circle or in lines and do the quick passing drills instead of whacking shots willy-nilly at whoever is in goal. I can do the warm-up for whoever is in goal.
I don't know whether Trevor agrees, but I suggest that players who just stroll along right on the kick-off (and we know which ones that will be ! ) are not picked for the next match. We are going in this League to win it this Summer !!!
We also need all players warming up together, not disappearing for a lap of the SHC on their own.

Trevor has named a squad of 9 for this first match as follows:
Garry Cover (GK)
Alan Barnard
Terry Moore
Lexton Harrison
Danny Hagan
Daniel Cascoe
Ben Keating
Daniel Daley
Jack Bangs

The reason for a squad of 9 instead of 8 is in case Lexton turns up late (like he normally does), and also the fact that Lexton, Hagan & Ben will all turn up wearing moulded studs/blades because on the Astroturf manufacturer's notice on the gate it only says no metal/aluminium studs/blades. As we know though, the Referees will say that all players must wear dimpled-soled Astroturf boots or flat-soled trainers, so if those three players turn up without those boots, they will not be allowed to play and we will just have a bare seven including me !

Also this Summer, when we have 7.00 or 8.00.p.m. kick-offs, we would like all players to stay for a drink in the bar afterwards.
The Management Committee have been discussing recently the lack of tactical knowledge amongst some of our players because we never show them anything mentioned in the Video Notes on a tactics board. Trevor has now found the board I bought him about 5 years ago, so we will therefore now use it while we are in the bar. It will be good for team spirit and I think it will definitely help us next season.
If players who are not in the squad for a particular 7-a-side match come down to watch and have a beer afterwards as well, that will be even better. (They should also bring their Astroturf boots as well just in case they are needed !). Remember we are a club without our own clubhouse. We should be making the most of the SHC's excellent facilities during the Summer and using 7-a-side matches as a regular weekly meeting point. It's what virtually every other club in the Waltham League does (invariably in a pub or club), but we don't.
Also, it's easier to have a chat on the touchline during 7-a-side matches about various things because I am not filming the matches and Trevor is not running the line.

Hopefully some other Management Committee members (or any players for that matter) will come on here and support what I have just suggested and we can have a really good Summer in preparation for next season.

Re: Squad for 7-a-Side - Monday 13th May

Forgot to mention that the 7-a-side League page on the club website has now been updated for this Summer.
Please make sure you read through it before you play in a match as there are several changes from last year.

I will be there.... Lets actually go for it this year! Not looking to make it a 6th year of misery!

Lexton and Ben are not playing, so we only have seven, all of whom have confirmed their availability.

It's up to Trev if he wants anybody else. I am too busy to decide myself.

If anyone else wants to play please phone / text me or post on here.

I'm available to play tomorrow

I would guess that Trev is in Court all day today with his phone switched off and therefore hasn't replied to Krishan...or he hasn't got Krishan's number saved in his mobile phone address book , so it looks like I will have to make the decision.

I will therefore say that Krishan is now definitely in the squad (because he is the first to reply as far as I know), so the squad of 8 is as follows:
Garry Cover (GK)
Alan Barnard
Terry Moore
Danny Hagan
Daniel Cascoe
Krishan Singh
Jack Bangs
Daniel Daley

If anybody else had texted or e-mailed Trev yesterday offering to play before Krishan posted on here, then that's Trev's fault for not letting us know.

Just a reminder to everybody tonight...Please bring your own shorts (preferably black), socks (any colour) and shinpads. I will only be bringing the shirts and a keeper's top.
Full details on our 7-a-side League 'rules & regulations' are here: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/sevenaside.html