THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Next Match - Away to Larsens (3rd Feb.)

Our next match this coming Sunday (3rd February) is in Division One Away to Larsens at Larsens Rec in Waltham Abbey.
Unfortunately though, the weather forecast for the coming week is heavy rain virtually every day, so if that's the case, then there is no way we will be playing at Larsens Rec. It is the worst pitch in the League for getting flooded whenever it rains, as it is situated right next to a river.

We have the same problem at Hazelwood, but not quite as bad. As both ourselves and St. Mary's are playing Away this Sunday, our pitch will not be used, so I am going to suggest to the Larsens Secretary that if they hear from their local Council groundsman before Saturday that Larsens Rec has been called off, we could switch the game to Hazelwood instead...as long as Enfield Council haven't called off all pitches in the Borough, which they normally do whenever it rains heavily all week.

If Larsens agree, the only problem is that they do not have their own goalnets and corner flags to bring because they belong to their local Council...who put them up at Larsens Rec and charge them for it ! We would therefore have to use ours, but I don't mind that if it guarantees us a game.

As for training this week, it will definitely be on (starting at 8.30.p.m.), but it is likely to be very wet and windy going by the forecast at the moment. It looks as if that is something we are going to have to get used to.

Re: Next Match - Away to Larsens (3rd Feb.)

Laurence Hughes
As both ourselves and St. Mary's are playing Away this Sunday, our pitch will not be used, so I am going to suggest to the Larsens Secretary that if they hear from their local Council groundsman before Saturday that Larsens Rec has been called off, we could switch the game to Hazelwood instead...as long as Enfield Council haven't called off all pitches in the Borough, which they normally do whenever it rains heavily all week.
I have just spoken to the Larsens Secretary and he agrees with this idea. He should know by Friday afternoon if Larsens Rec has been called off or not.

I have left a message with the League Fixture Secretary to let me know if there are any problems...such as St. Mary's having the same idea with their match. I would think that Pitch 11 at Enfield Playing Fields (where they are playing Away to The Sheaf) is more likely to be playable than Larsens Rec though, but as St. Mary's game is a County Cup match, if both Larsens Rec and Enfield Playing Fields are called off but Hazelwood is playable, then St. Mary's will have to use Hazelwood ahead of us...if they want to and The Sheaf agree to switch to Hazelwood. In addition to County Cup matches taking precedence, it is also St. Mary's week on the permit, but then they have used Hazelwood 8 times so far this season and we have only had 6 Home games so far. Both of us only have 4 Home League games left this season (or 5 if we progress in Cups), so as we both pay for 15 Sundays at Hazelwood each, we are entitled to play at least another two games over there in order to 'catch up' with them. (i.e. by switching Away games or playing Friendlies).

That's the situation at the moment.

We had a good turnout of 14 at training last night including two prospective new players who both did well. One was a 19-year-old midfielder whose Uncle is a well-known ex-Southampton player, and the other was a young ex-Norsemen ? goalkeeper who will give Jacko good competition for a starting place if he signs. (Ideal with Darryl having retired and Loveday 'not about'). Hopefully both new players will be there again next Wednesday.

I can't get hold of Trev at the moment, so I am going to have to guess that the squad for this Sunday will consist of 17 players as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Alan Barnard
Terry Moore
George Stahlmann
Lexton Harrison
Gavin Mardell
Ali 'TJ' Sowe
Garry Cover
Danny Hagan
Krishan Singh
Younes Jouied
Ben Keating
Riaz Daniels
Rafiel Johnson
Jack Bangs
Daniel Daley
John Scouller

However, Hagan missed training last night because he was in hospital having an x-ray on a suspected broken hand. I have no idea what the outcome of that was, but I suspect that if he is now in a plaster cast he will not be playing on Sunday !
Daniel Cascoe is away this weekend and appears to be the only player unavailable at the moment. If anybody else named above cannot play, please let us know.

As for whether the match will be on or not (and where), just to confirm that it is still scheduled for Larsens Rec in Waltham Abbey unless I inform you otherwise. As with last week's match, it will probably be a case of waiting until Saturday.
Another problem could be frost on Sunday morning though, so I think we might be lucky to play this Sunday to be honest.

All Enfield Council pitches have just been called off for the weekend (waterlogged), so using Hazelwood this Sunday is not an option.

I am just waiting for Larsens to phone me to say Larsens Rec has been called off as well...which is probably inevitable after last night's rain.
Hopefully I will know by this evening.

GAME OFF ! Larsens Rec has now been called off as well.

No 3G pitch to play on this week unfortunatly !