THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7-a-side Squads for Monday 10th & Thursday 13th August

Thankfully this is the last week that we have to play two 7-a-side matches (on both Monday & Thursday).
Tomorrow (Monday) night's game is a 7.30.p.m. Kick-Off against K & M Old Boys and Thursday Night's match is an 8.00.p.m. Kick-Off against Wood Green Old Boys 'A'.

Obviously after playing with only one sub in 90 degree heat this morning, our regular players are absolutely knackered and are not going to want to play tomorrow night. I therefore want to treat Thursday's match seriously and field our 'strongest' squad of 8, which will be as follows (subject to availability):
Simon Jackson (GK)
Alan Barnard
Ivan Bass
Lexton Harrison
Terry Moore
Danny Hagan
Ben Keating
Daniel Daley

Tomorrow night's match is a big problem. I suspect that the only way we are going to field a side is if we can get the following players to play:
Tim Beeden (GK)
Tony King
Gavin Mardell
Martin Loveday
Martin Cruickshank
Lee King
Krishan Singh
Younes Jouied

I am massively busy at the moment but I will try my best to contact them all during the day tomorrow. I suspect that most will not answer their phones/reply to texts though, so I may have to call the game off at about 5.00-6.00.p.m.
The problem if we do that is that we will then not be able to sign up Martin C, Lee, Younes and various Pat's Boys players so that they can play this coming Sunday. (I need their photos tomorrow night as Thursday is too late).

Also, with John Scouller now injured, it is unlikely that any of the players he has been bringing along in Pre-Season will make themselves available/sign up now. They have been failing to turn up to recent 7-a-side League matches anyway.

That's the situation at the moment.

Re: 7-a-side Squads for Monday 10th & Thursday 13th August

I have had to call tonight's match OFF.

Tim and Gavin have both e-mailed/texted me to say they are injured and despite texting and/or Facebook-messaging numerous players early this morning who didn't play yesterday, the only one who has got back to me so far offering to play is Martin Cruickshank.

Clearly 'everybody else' is too busy at work at the moment (or more likely engrossed in watching the Olympics Parade thingy), so it is too risky waiting until after 6.00.p.m. for them to reply...that's if they bother at all !

I warned the Southgate Hockey Centre last Thursday that we would struggle to field a team the day after an 11-a-side League match, but they have just told me that we still have to pay the £38.00 match fee (as per the rules for a non-fulfilment).

I will go down to the Hockey Centre this evening anyway to hopefully sign up Jack Bangs from Pat's Boys, and I will also drive around Edmonton this evening trying to sign up Martin (Cruickshank) and to get Lee King's photo.
If I manage to get those three registered for Sunday and Krishan Singh doesn't get in touch to explain where he was yesterday morning, then one of them can replace him in the squad for this Sunday's match (as far as I am concerned).

Just to confirm that the squad for Thursday Night's match against Wood Green Old Boys 'A' (8.00.p.m. Kick-Off) is as follows (assuming these players are all available):
Simon Jackson (GK)
Ivan Bass
Alan Barnard
Lexton Harrison
Danny Hagan
Ben Keating
Daniel Daley
Terry Moore

Trevor is on holiday in Cyprus, so I suggest Terry Moore goes sub/Manager because of his rib injury and the other seven all try and play 50 minutes as a good fitness workout ready for Sunday.
If Lexton and Ivan turn up late yet again, then myself and Terry can start the match until they arrive.
Also, I suggest we experiment with a 3-1-2 formation with Ivan, Barney & Lexton in defence and Ben & Daley both up front (but chasing back/winning the ball back high up the pitch like we are trying to do on Sundays). Ivan, Barney & Lex then take it in turns to make runs forward, leaving two 'at the back/behind the ball' at all times and with Hagan 'sitting' in the centre of the pitch.

There is also the possibility that Jack Bangs might be coming over (with Riaz) to give me his photo/sign up. He forgot to bring it to Pat's Boy's match last night. Jack can then have a run-out instead of Terry so that he can get to know our players. He won't be registered in time to play this Sunday.

We also might have Tony King and Gavin Mardell both wanting to play because we had to call the game off last night, but having a squad of more than 8 is pointless in my opinion as players will be getting too many breaks.
This is where it is very frustrating that we are still playing 7-a-side in September and cannot start training yet.

If anybody in the squad of 8 I have named definitely cannot play, please let me know asap. I do not want players voluntarily dropping out to give others a game though. We are playing the second-best side in the League and we do not want to suffer a morale-sapping heavy defeat.

This new 'Teamer' thing that I have set up is working quite well with Barney, Hagan, Lexton, Ivan & Terry all confirming on there that they are playing tonight.
However, Ben & Daley both replied that they are unavailable, while Jacko has 'not responded' and neither has Tony King or Riaz, who I put down as the first two standby players to come in if anybody dropped out. (Teamer contacts them automatically as soon as anybody drops out).
So...unless Jacko, Tony & Riaz reply on there (or on here), I will still have some texting to do from my own phone which is going to cost me money.

With Riaz, ideally I want him to bring Jack Bangs along tonight (with a photo) so that I can get him registered. They can both play if they want, then we would have a squad of 8 if Jacko & Tony are playing but Terry stays on the line as Manager.

If Tony, Riaz and Jack can't play, Gavin Mardell, Martin Cruickshank & Lee King are all possibilities. I have not marked them on Teamer as standby players yet though.

We currently only have six players for tonight as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Ivan Bass
Lexton Harrison
Alan Barnard
Terry Moore
Danny Hagan

Riaz and Jack cannot play tonight but they will (hopefully) be coming down at some stage with a photo to get Jack registered.

The first two current squad members to get in touch offering to play will be in.
Please let me know asap.

Martin Cruickshank is playing tonight, so that's 7 (not including me), but we still need one more in case Lexton & Ivan turn up late (again).

I have texted Lee King but not had a reply yet.