THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This Sunday (5th August)

Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that we will be able to arrange a Pre-Season Friendly for this Sunday as I cannot find a pitch. Obviously I will keep trying right up until Friday, but at the moment we will be having a proper Pre-Season Training session instead at Enfield Playing Fields at which we will be expecting EVERY player who wants to play for us this season to turn up !.
All players must meet at 10.00.a.m. in the Ladysmith Road car park and we will then go on the nearest bit of suitable grass from there. With a bit of luck there might be some goalposts not being used or a pitch 'sort of' marked out that we can stick corner posts in to make a goal. However, if our players are still asleep and do not turn up until 10.30 or later, we will have no chance of getting that...and it will also show that we have people wanting to play for us who are going to let us down for League matches if they can't get there by 10.00. !

Unless they come up with an extremely good excuse, the following players should all be in attendance this Sunday:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Alan Barnard
Martin Loveday
Terry Moore
Danny Hagan
Tony King
Ben Keating
Lexton Harrison
Ivan Bass
Daniel Daley
Tyrone Willis
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo
Daniel Cascoe
Daniel Euripidou
Krishan Singh
Frankie Karemo
Ali 'TJ' Sowe
Rafiel Johnson
Anthony DiCanio
Imran (or Riaz ?) Daniels
& 3 or 4 mates from 'Pat's Boys' Monday Night 7-a-side team
Also possibly Martin Worthington, John Scouller, Volkan Dalgic & Dan McEnaney (if they are about).
If we can find another goalkeeper from somewhere, there may even be enough for a 11-a-side practice match !
We actually managed that for a Pre-Season Training session at Enfield Playing Fields about 10 years ago and it was by far the best session we have ever had.

We are also hoping to get 'Vas' from McKenzie Rangers along to help Trev with the coaching.

Please note that we will NOT be doing anything this Thursday night now. Too many players are 'working late' and cannot get there for a 7.00.p.m. start, while we only have one player (Gavin Mardell) unavailable on the Sunday.

I know these arrangements probably won't please everybody, but we had yet more mass drop-outs for 7-a-side tonight which resulted in me having to play again. It's that sort of unreliability that has stopped me from arranging Pre-Season Friendlies so far...and now we are too late because all teams with a pitch are already playing somebody else.

If we get 11 or more players there by 10.00.a.m. this Sunday, then I will fix up Friendlies for the 12th, 19th & 26th August. If we get less than that, then I will NOT be fixing up Friendlies. Simple as that.
It's up to you to show me how committed you are.

Re: This Sunday (5th August)

Also...all new players MUST bring a passport photo if they want to be eligible to play in our first League match of the season on Sunday 2nd September.
I am hoping to sign up as many players as possible on Sunday.
This also applies to players from last season who missed signing the League Multi-Registration Form (i.e. Daley & Kizza).

Don't forget a £30.00 'signing-on fee' (Annual Subs) per season also has to be paid (to either myself or Trevor Hughes) before you are picked to play in a League match for us. This can be paid either in cash at training or 7-a-side matches or by internet banking into the club account. (Ask me for the sort code & account number and I will text them to you).
It is then £7.00 per match and £3.00 for training (if we can get the Southgate Hockey Centre on Wednesday evenings during the season), so pretty much £10.00 per week if you are a regular in our starting line-up and come training every week.
We are not a Semi-Pro Saturday/KOPA Greek/Turkish Community League club who can afford to let you play free of charge (or pay you expenses).
However, we do have the best Home pitch in local Sunday League football, the best club website, and we have all our matches professionally filmed with highlights put on You Tube.

Full details (for the benefit of new players) can be found here on the Club Information page.

We have managed to get Pitch One at Enfield Playing Fields off Enfield Council for this Sunday !!!
That means we will now be playing a PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY instead of training. This will be a 10.30.a.m. Kick-Off.

I will update the website as soon as I know who our opponents are...which will probably be sometime this evening or tomorrow, but for the time being please note...

Pitch One is the one we played FC Alpha on last season. It is the first football pitch on the left coming down the central path from the Donkey Lane end (just after the floodlit grass rugby training area). We therefore need to park at the Donkey Lane end because we have to put the nets up, but apparently the Donkey Lane car park 'might be' shut because they are going to be re-surfacing Donkey Lane 'soon'. There will be a board up at the Donkey Lane changing rooms entrance which will confirm what pitches the teams are on, and because of the car park situation it 'might' say on there to go down and change at the Central Pavilion...which is nearer the Ladysmith Road car park. There is also a possibility that both changing rooms will be shut anyway (because it is only Pre-Season), and there will just be one groundsman there with a board telling teams what pitch to go on.
Basically, nobody at Enfield Council (Mon-Fri 9-5) knows, and we just have to be prepared for 'anything' on the morning of the match.

I therefore suggest that we all meet at Donkey Lane at 9.30.a.m., then if the car park is shut, we drive round to the Ladysmith Road car park (by turning left out of Donkey Lane into Carterhatch Lane, left into Willow Road down to Southbury Road, left into there and left into Ladysmith Road). The Carterhatch Lane end of Ladysmith Road is a no through road.
The players will then have to put the nets up (instead of me) if that happens, otherwise I won't have time to set up my camera to film the match.

As for the squad, I cannot get hold of Trevor at the moment, although I did manage to speak to other Management Committee members (i.e. Terry & Barney) yesterday. We suggest that all players who I named in the first post of this thread as due to be coming training still turn up for this Friendly and we will try to give them all a game. If 22 are there, then we field eleven in the First Half and a different eleven for the Second Half. If more than 22 turn up, then Trev will have to deal with that and presumably leave some out...I would suggest those who turn up late are left out !

If all players could bring their own black shorts if they have any, that would be helpful. We have enough shirts & socks for more than 22 players, but are missing some shorts.

As we are now playing a match, all players taking part will be charged subs, but it is up to Trevor to decide how much. It probably depends on how many players we use, but I would advise all players to bring at least £5.00 with them...and if they owe money from playing 7-a-side, then they should bring at least £10.00 with them !

If you cannot play on Sunday, please let us know.

Still no opponents or Referee sorted out for this Sunday. Not sure when that will be done now as everybody (including myself) is too engrossed in watching the Olympics.
I will text and e-mail everybody as soon as I know anything.

I know that this Forum is not loading properly at the moment and most of our players therefore haven't seen this thread. Can't do anything about that. I think it's Olympics Forums using the same server.

We are playing Cheshunt Town this Sunday in a Pre-Season Friendly at Enfield Playing Fields.
It is a 10.30.a.m. Kick-Off but we want all players to meet there (at the Donkey Lane end) at 9.30.a.m.

All players who want to play for us this season will be in the squad for this game, so if anybody turns up late, they might end up not getting a game.

Full details of this and all other fixtures for August are now on the Forthcoming Fixtures page.

If you (or your mates you were intending bringing along) cannot play this Sunday, please let us know on here or by texting me on 07949 128505.

At the moment I am still struggling to find a Referee for this Sunday, so if any Referees who read this want to do it (for £35), please let me know.

Shouldn't we be asking players to confirm they can play on here, rather than asking them to post if they can't? It certainly would be useful to know who has read this post to get an idea of who will be there.

Taking "no-reply" to mean "I'm playing" strikes me as crazy when I reckon that probably at best, a third of the players listed above will read this.

I'll be there on Sunday by the way

Barney
Shouldn't we be asking players to confirm they can play on here, rather than asking them to post if they can't? It certainly would be useful to know who has read this post to get an idea of who will be there.

Taking "no-reply" to mean "I'm playing" strikes me as crazy when I reckon that probably at best, a third of the players listed above will read this.

I'll be there on Sunday by the way
O.K.

Can all players please post here if they are playing on Sunday ?

Cheers.

I'll be there

Got a Ref now. Nick from the 7-a-side League is doing it.

Available

cant wait!!!

See u there

If only five players post on here that they are playing, don't panic ! Most of our players are not on the internet and cannot post on the Forum.

I can safely say that we have enough players for tomorrow.

me and kas are coming but not tyrone

Just to mention that we beat Cheshunt Town 3-1 in our first Pre-Season Friendly this morning (Sunday 5th August).

I am still waiting for Trevor to e-mail me the match details, so it's unlikely that the website will be updated until Tuesday now.
Also, although I somehow managed to video the whole match in what was a torrential downpour for the whole 90 minutes, I may not be able to edit highlights until next week because I am half-way through editing a Tournament at the moment...and of course, watching the Olympics !

From what I can remember though, our goals were scored by Imran Daniels, Rafiel Johnson and Daniel Daley.
We fielded a squad of 18 and did quite well considering we had a lot of players who didn't know each other and Cheshunt Town were fielding their first-choice/regular side from last season.
New players making their 11-a-side debuts for us were Imran Daniels, Norrence Archibald, Dan McEnaney, Volkan Dalgic, Frankie Karemo, Ali 'TJ' Sowe & Krishan Singh, while Rafiel Johnson was making only his second appearance for us after playing in a Pre-Season Friendly about 8 years ago.

The weather was massively frustrating as it was impossible to get players filling in registration forms, although I did manage to get a few photos in. Hopefully we will have plenty of these new players signed up by the 20th August deadline for our first League match.