THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre-Season Friendlies

As I half-expected, we cannot use the grass pitch at the Southgate Hockey Centre for 11-a-side Pre-Season Friendlies on Sunday 5th August or Sunday 12th August because it is being used as a campsite for the Olympics.
As usual, we cannot use it on the Sunday of the Bank Holiday weekend (26th) either because that's when they have another campsite for their annual 'Hornament' (Hockey Tournament).

We will therefore use the pitch for a Pre-Season Friendly on Sunday 19th August and I will be looking to play the strongest opponents we can find...unless too many of our players say they are unavailable and/or will be 'too p!ssed' from Wedding Receptions the night before (or whatever).

I have asked Terry Moore to arrange another Friendly against his Cousin's team Allenburys for Sunday 26th August as their facilities are excellent.

I am thinking along the lines of not having a Friendly on Sunday 5th August and arranging a training session instead, either for that date or the Thursday before (2nd August) when we have no 7-a-side League match, but it will have to be somewhere (e.g. Enfield Playing Fields) without any full-size goalposts available. We can't use the grass at the SHC on Thursday 2nd August because of the Olympics campsite.
In my opinion we need to have a good proper Pre-Season Training session before we play any Pre-Season Friendlies so that all our new players can get to know each other. (They are invariably playing on different nights at 7-a-side).

As for Sunday 12th August, this is where I need a decision asap.
Our goalkeeper from the 90's, Shaun O'Neill, now plays for a team near Northampton and they can get a pitch to play us on that date (and provide food & drink afterwards). It would be great for team spirit if we could get a minibus and travel up there for the day (i.e. 11.00.a.m. Kick-Off then travel back mid/late-afternoon).
I have to let them know by Tuesday morning though, so I need to know the following asap:
1) Is anybody unavailable on that date ?
2) Does anybody know where to get a minibus from and how to drive it ? (Obviously I am thinking Gary Cokell here...don't know if he reads this Forum nowadays ?).

Please can I have some feedback regarding all the above ?

Re: Pre-Season Friendlies

If you have read the Latest Club News page, you will see that I have called the game off up in Northampton for the 12th August because it would have taken too long to arrange and they needed to know yesterday. Basically I just wasn't getting any feedback from anybody.

We now need opponents with a pitch available somewhere within a 10-mile radius of Edmonton if we are to play Pre-Season Friendlies on Sundays 5th, 12th & 26th August.
They have to be morning kick-offs, on grass, and against Premier Division teams from other Leagues.

If any teams are interested (or if any of our players know teams who are), please let me know as soon as possible.

come on you dee's. dundee derby 2mo but i will see you all on the 5th.

Laurence Hughes
We now need opponents with a pitch available somewhere within a 10-mile radius of Edmonton if we are to play Pre-Season Friendlies on Sundays 5th, 12th & 26th August.
They have to be morning kick-offs, on grass, and against Premier Division teams from other Leagues.
I think after two non-fulfilments at 7-a-side we will now be lowering our sights somewhat !

Pre-Season Friendlies against any team will do, although nothing will be arranged until after the AGM this coming Friday...just in case we have to fold up !