THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Next Monday Night Match (11th June)

Just received from Liz at the SHC...

Guys
It has been brought to my attention that England are playing on Monday at 5.30 and a number of teams may find it difficult to get a team out.
I'm going to take a vote.
Please let me know if you would like to postpone next Mondays fixtures?
Please let me know by Friday morning, 10am and I will let everyone know what the decision is.

Liz Moss
Southgate Hockey Centre

PS - rain is causing a delay on the completion of the new pitch and we are most likely to be on grass on Monday.

I thought England v. France was a 5.00.p.m. Kick-Off, not 5.30. but maybe I'm wrong.
I think we should vote to postpone anyway because we are going to be playing on grass again rather than missing some of the England match !
Looking at the diabolical weather forecast for tomorrow, if that grass gets played on tomorrow night it will get churned up even more than it is already. It looks as if they have been driving the tractors/JCBs across the grass as well !? That game I played in last Thursday was ridiculous. It was impossible to control and pass the ball. Ridges, furrows and fox-holes everywhere. I am not going to book the SHC for our Pre-Season Friendlies unless they get a roller on there and sort it out.

Re: Next Monday Night Match (11th June)

I had a chat with Trev about this last night.
The England-France match is a 5.00.p.m. Kick-Off, so it is possible for us to Kick-Off at 7.30.p.m. on grass if players don't want to stay in and watch post-match interviews with Adrian Chiles leading the anyalysis ! (I certainly don't !).
However, if we are having to play on grass again on Monday, why can't the SHC Kick-Off all matches at 8.00.p.m. ? It doesn't get dark until 9.00.p.m. at the moment. Even if the (floodlit) Astroturf is ready, they could play two matches at 8.00.p.m. and the other two at 9.00.p.m.

Another problem if they call all the games off on Monday is that the League will then drag on into September when we are playing 11-a-side the day before. That's when we really struggle to get a team out on Monday nights. Last Summer it ended up with me having to play. Trev would prefer to play on churned up grass/mud now...and he also wants to play Pre-Season Friendlies at the SHC whatever the state of the pitch as there is a bar there...which we need to use for social reasons after the match so that we can get to know our new players. (It was excellent last Summer for that).

Personally though, I think most 7-a-side teams will ask for this coming Monday's games to be called off because most of their players will want to have a few beers while they are watching the England match. The timing is perfect. Straight out of work into the nearest pub. Especially good for those who work in the City.

Re: Next Monday Night Match (11th June)

Just received from Liz at the SHC...

Guys
Thank you for your responses.
I am going to postpone the matches this Monday and reschedule for a later date.
There were a couple of teams who wanted to play, if you would like to come down and use the pitches, free of charge you are very welcome.
The football will be on in the bar before.

Thank you
Liz Moss
Southgate Hockey Centre

When she says 'the pitches', she means the grass pitches, not the new astroturf, but with the weather the way it is at the moment, I don't think there is any point in us making arrangements to go over there and have a free training session on what is likely to be just a complete bog.
Also, I have already had one player telling me he wouldn't have been available anyway due to a 'corporate p!ss-up' for the England match, and I suspect he won't be the only one.

I will update the website with our next fixtures at some stage over the weekend and name a squad for next Thursday on the Forum on Monday.
I definitely need a defender for that match though, as Terry Moore is on holiday, Barney is working and Lexton is doubtful due to other commitments.
We are playing Wood Green Old Boys 'A', who are the best team in the League and have won their last two matches 11-1 !