THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
General 7-a-side Availability/Squad For Next Season

I have put the squad for our next match on Thursday 7th June on a separate thread, so please reply on there regarding availability for that match.

The following week (commencing Monday 11th June) is when we finally get round to playing twice a week pretty much for the rest of the Summer following numerous Bank Holidays, postponements and/or not having a match arranged during May...which I know has been very frustrating for a lot of our players, especially those who are trying to bring new players along.

My priority for picking the squads for this coming Thursday onwards will be to give as many players a game as possible who want to play 11-a-side for us next season. That's because the last date for players to sign our Waltham Sunday League Multi-Registration form for next season is Monday 2nd July. (Nobody has signed that form yet, but I will be bringing it along from next Thursday onwards).
After that Monday, I will then look to pick settled sides for both Monday & Thursday nights based on ability, regular availability and payment of subs owed, although players can of course still sign individual registration forms for next season after the 2nd July, so if they need to play in order to sign up, then I will put them in.

The main problem I have at the moment though is that I have been too busy with work during May to phone and text players to find out if they want to play or not. In some cases I have been so busy that I have forgotten what people said ! Because of that, it is far easier for me to list everybody on here and what their current situation is (as far as I am aware).
Please therefore reply here, text/phone me on 07949 128505 or e-mail me at laurence_hughes@yahoo.co.uk if you need to update me on anything I have listed below:

Simon Jackson (GK)...Prefers to play on Thursdays but will play Mondays if needed...which he will be on Monday 18th June & Monday 2nd July as Tim is not available.
Tim Beeden (GK)...Prefers to play Mondays but will play on Thursdays if Jacko is not available.
Terry Moore & Alan Barnard...Both prefer to play Mondays but will play on Thursdays if we are short.
Martin Loveday...Has asked to be left out for the time being until he improves his fitness of his own accord, but will play if we are short.
Danny Hagan...Will play both Mondays & Thursdays. Is away from Mon 25th June for 2 weeks.
Daniel Cascoe...Can play both Mondays & Thursdays but prefers Thursdays (I think ?)
Lexton Harrison...Can play both Mondays & Thursdays but cannot make 7.00.p.m. Kick-Offs due to work.
John Scouller...Can play both Mondays & Thursdays apart from the occasional late shift. Doesn't mind coming along and not playing if we are giving the new players he is bringing along a game instead.
Ben Keating...Can play both Mondays & Thursdays but needs a lift from John. Is gradually reducing the amount of subs he owes but still owes £39.00. If he can promise to pay £10.00 or more at each match I pick him for, then I will pick him regularly and by the end of the Summer hopefully he will be near enough up-to-date.
Martin Cruickshank...Did he post on here recently saying he can pay some or all of his subs owed ? (£61.50) I can't remember now. If he gets in touch again and can guarantee that, then I will pick him asap. I would guess that he can play either Mondays or Thursdays ?
Lee King...Did he say he now has a job and can pay most or all of his subs owed ? (£29.50). If so, I will pick him asap for a Monday or a Thursday if he gets in touch.
Tony King...The only time I picked him for a squad so far this Summer he told me he was unavailable. Needs to get in touch and let me know if he wants to be considered and if so, whether he prefers a Monday or a Thursday.
Leon McKenzie-McKay...Owes £40.00 subs and I have not heard from him since our last 11-a-side match. Up to him to get in touch if he wants to play 7-a-side (and can pay his subs...a minimum of £10.00 per match so that he can catch up like Ben).
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo...Has got in touch over the last couple of days asking to play 7-a-side but he owes £46.00 in subs. Again, like others he will need to pay at least £10.00 per match if I pick him. Because he is so prone to dropping out at the last minute because of work commitments and travel problems though, I can't really put him in ahead of others unless he can assure me that his situation has changed.
Danny Smith...I am hearing rumours that he wants to re-sign from St.Mary's for 11-a-side next season. Can he confirm this and if so, let me know if he prefers to play 7-a-side on Mondays or Thursdays ?
Colin Bester...I am still trying to work out what he was trying to say when he send me a series of text messages about a month ago ! It seemed to be that he wants to play 7-a-side because he is £88.00 in credit, but doesn't want to play because he is annoyed with Trev for putting him sub at 11-a-side !? I can't pick him until he gives me a definite yes or no and tells me whether he prefers Mondays or Thursdays.
Martin Worthington...Jacko said he would speak to him and see if he wanted to start playing again. Any news ? School half-term now, so I suspect Martin (as a schoolteacher) will be back up in Liverpool next week, but I can give him a game from Monday 11th June if he is interested. Also owes £42.00 subs though, so he will have to pay at least £10.00 per match if I pick him.
Gavin Mardell...Barney tells me that Gavin might be interested in challenging for a place at 11-a-side for us next season, in which case I will start picking him to play 7-a-side. Can he confirm this and also whether he can play on Thursdays if needed ?

As for prospective new players, John Scouller has several work colleagues (and their mates) that he will hopefully be bringing along to forthcoming matches. I will be naming them in the squads as a priority as they are all current or former 'Semi-Pro's from the Ryman/Spartan South Midlands Leagues or have been on the books of Pro clubs as youngsters. Chris Adjei has played one game so far, while Dan McKenahie and Volkan Dalgic were both originally due to be playing last Thursday until they got stuck in traffic. Other players who John works with who he might be bringing along are Fraser John (who I have named in the squad for this Thursday), Gavin Campbell, Chris Meikle and Aiden Palmer, although some of these might be on contract next season on Saturdays, so they will then not be able to play for us and I will therefore leave them out of the 7-a-side squads to give others a game.
Frankie Karemo (ex-McKenzie Rangers) is another new player wanting to join us and I will try to give him a game of 7-a-side during June.
Imran & Riaz Daniels (ex-Trent Park Arkay & numerous others) also want to join us but they are already playing for another team in the Thursday Night League (Pat's Boys ?). I might be able to give them a game in the Monday Night League if they are not playing for anybody else though ?
Ivan Bass is Lexton's mate (ex-Brimsdown Rovers defender) who I picked for last Thursday's match but he had to drop out at the last minute as his missus is expecting a baby any day now. I don't want to pick him for 7-a-side while there is still the threat of him having to drop out at short notice, so I will need to be kept informed of when the next time is that he can definitely play.

I will not be picking Sam Benjamin or Courtney Brown for any more 7-a-side matches unless we are short as I have now been informed that neither of them want to play for us on Sundays because of Church commitments...and in Courtney's case he can't afford to pay his subs because he is a student.
Yianni Kyriacou is another player I will not be picking for 7-a-side unless he advises me that he will be down from Leeds University at least some weekends to play 11-a-side for us next season...which didn't happen at all last season.

As for players who I am hearing 'might have left', I know that Terry Brown has (voluntarily) and that Steve Cokell is considering retirement and does not want to be picked for 7-a-side, but I need Daniel Daley to let me know if he has 'left' or not, and I need Rob Brown to also let me know if there is any prospect of him having a knee operation and playing again...and when.

I think that covers everybody ?
If there is anybody I have forgotten or if anybody has any other new players interested in joining, please let me know.

Please note that if any player turns up for a match without paying anything on the night (unless they are in credit), then they will NOT be picked for the next match if we have others available to replace them.
If somebody is bringing new players along, they must make sure they pay.