THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7-a-Side League

I have just had the application forms come through for the Summer 7-a-side League at the Southgate Hockey Centre.
We have until the 20th April to enter, but we need to make a decision asap in case we don't get in.
It is on Mondays & Thursdays as usual, starting in early May.

Interestingly, it says '*Note: we are having our pitches replaced in April/May. It means the football league will start on the grass pitches for the first few weeks until the new pitch is laid. And, depending on the number of entries you may not play every week for the first few weeks, as the grass does not have lights and it limits the number of games we can play.'

It doesn't say whether the new pitch is going to be a 3G (or better) rather than a sand-based Astroturf, but let's hope it is !
About time too !

Re: 7-a-Side League

I'm in even if we play on concrete.......

I'll be good to play one day or the other. If they do re-surface with 3G (to be honest, whatever they put down will be an improvement) then training there looks like a much more attrative proposition, in spite of the transport issues...

Barney
If they do re-surface with 3G (to be honest, whatever they put down will be an improvement) then training there looks like a much more attrative proposition, in spite of the transport issues...
I agree...although it is now 3G at the Southbury Leisure Centre as well.

I will play either day so long as it is not on that surface. I was actually not going to play but if its grass and a new surface that sounds good.

Having discussed with Trev, Barney & Terry, I have now entered two teams 'whatever' for this Summer. (One on Mondays, one on Thursdays).

We will name a squad and start chasing people up to play a week before we play our first match. There is no point in doing it this early.
At that stage I will start actively targeting possible new players from various different sources, although the best option is undoubtedly our current players bringing along people they know who might want to play for us on Sundays.

If players cannot afford to pay £7.00 per match and they turn up without paying, then they will only be picked again for future matches if we cannot field a team without them.
We will also not be picking those players who currently owe over £25.00 in subs from the season just ended unless they pay us the money they owe first. (That is currently Martin Cruickshank, Daniel Cascoe, Ben Keating, Lee King, Leon McKenzie-McKay, John Scouller and Kizza.)
It's up to them to pay by internet banking into the club account or bring the money round in cash to me before the end of April.
We can't keep giving people free games otherwise the club will fold.

I will update the 7-a-side League pages here on the website when we get the fixtures through at the end of April. Most of what is there for last Summer will probably still apply though (apart from it being £7.00 a match instead of £6.00 and being able to wear moulded studs if we are playing on grass and then 3G).

Loveday
I will play either day so long as it is not on that surface. I was actually not going to play but if its grass and a new surface that sounds good.
Apparently it's another sand-based (first generation) Astroturf they are laying because they can't use 3G surfaces for hockey.
Obviously it will be in better condition than the old one though and maybe have a bit of 'give' in it ?

Laul I would like to play if possible

Smithy should only be allowed to play if he agrees to **** us all off in the showers......

Not again surely

I am still waiting to hear from the Southgate Hockey Centre as to when the League starts and what our opening fixtures are.

I know that the Monday Night League will 'definitely' be starting on the 14th May (as the 7th is a Bank Holiday), but it's the Thursday Night League that is the problem. Normally they start it on the Thursday before the Monday Night League starts (so the 10th May this year ?), but normally that would be the first Thursday in May. (The Monday Bank Holiday is a few days later than normal this time).
So...we might be starting next Thursday (3rd May) and only being informed of the fixtures a couple of days beforehand.
Also adding to the uncertainty is the weather at the moment, as the first few weeks of the 7-a-side Season are going to be played on grass because they are relaying the Astroturf...and the grass area over there gets very badly waterlogged, which is why nobody can use it for 11-a-side during the Winter.

Please keep checking this Forum and I will post on here as soon as I hear anything.

Should be ok for next Thursday if needed.

Confirmation from the Southgate Hockey Centre just received as follows:

The Thursday football League will start on 10 May.

The Monday football League will start on 14 May.

Fixtures will be going onto the website next week.

There are 9 teams entered into each league.

Important news...
You may know that we are replacing our all weather pitches at the moment. The work is due to be completed in Mid June. The water pitch is being renewed with another water pitch and the exciting news for you guys is that the sand pitch is being upgraded to a sand dressed pitch. This will be much better for football with no sand visible on the surface. The lights on this pitch are also being renewed.

It means that we will not be able to use the astro for the first few weeks, so the plan is to start the leagues on grass. Sunset times mean that we are only going to have sufficient daylight to have matches between 7-8pm, or possibly 7.30-8.30pm and all games will be at the same time.

I realise that for some of you the earlier start will be a bit tricky, but its only for the first few weeks and then you move onto a fantastic new surface. The works schedule for the pitches, if all goes to plan, is for us to be able to move onto the new astro on 11 June. However, that is subject to the weather!!

Keep an eye on the website for fixtures next week.

So...now it's been confirmed that we are starting on Thursday 10th May, I will update the 7-a-Side League pages on the website as soon as the fixtures are announced, then pick a squad on Monday 7th May for our first match on the 10th.

At the moment, we have Jacko in goal (prefers Thursdays ?), Barney for Thursdays (as Terry Moore wants to play on Mondays ?), then Smithy & Terry Brown where I can fit them in. Loveday will play as an outfield player on grass, then we'll see what the new Astroturf surface is like for him thereafter.
John Scouller has got several new (and quality ex-Semi-Pro) players who he works with who are interested in joining us and playing 7-a-side. I will be following that up between now and the 7th May and also Facebook-messaging, texting and/or phoning the numerous players who never look at or post on this Forum or check their e-mails.

If players can post on here asap as to their availability for 7-a-side who haven't done so already, please do so as it will make my job a lot easier.
Obvious wind-ups from prospective new players/people trying to be Jacko will be deleted. It's getting a bit boring now.

Sorry lol, what do you mean where i can fit him in? Wouldnt it be beneficial to get me fit the new season. AS ive always been up to date with my subs and last season was injured for a lot of it and then was ill. so getting me fit would be a good idea but if you have other idea's then let me know and i can re-think who i'll be playing for next season.

I don't want to speak for Lol, but I think he meant that you might be flexible as to which day or days you play, whereas other players tend to have a set day that they are only available for.

From my perspective we definitely want to see you fit and playing for Rovers at the start of next season!

I second that as since you got injured nobody else wanted to suck me off in the showers...........

Oh and I missed off, what the **** am I being accused of now......

I think I'm with Terry, I'll have to re-think who I'll be playing for next season.......

Terry has now had his re think and seeing as
His not good enough to play for anyone else he has
Decided to stay

Barney
I don't want to speak for Lol, but I think he meant that you might be flexible as to which day or days you play, whereas other players tend to have a set day that they are only available for.

From my perspective we definitely want to see you fit and playing for Rovers at the start of next season!
Correct.

As soon as I get the fixtures, I will be phoning, texting & e-mailing players to find out which night they prefer.
The only player who I am likely to pick for both nights (i.e. twice a week...if he is available) is John Scouller because we have loads of different players who are probably going to be relying on him for a lift and he can't fit them all in his car at the same time !!!
Also, John says he has given up smoking and wants to get fit.

I'm available for whenever just text me

Still no sign of any fixtures being arranged I'm afraid.

I expect that is probably because the grass area is too waterlogged to mark the 7-a-side pitches out at the moment ?
It could well be that the League might get delayed by a week or two. Hopefully they will let us know asap.

I will do an update on here later today regarding possible squads and new players.

They have just announced here on the Southgate Hockey Centre website that the Thursday Night League will indeed start this coming Thursday (10th May).

If you click on our name in the League Table towards the bottom of the page, our Fixtures will appear. It says we are playing Wood Green Old Boys 'B' in our first match. Kick-Off is at 7.15.p.m. (on the grass).

I will be out most of tomorrow (Sunday) filming Cup Finals, so I will try and chase up players on Bank Holiday Monday and name a squad (of 8) then.
I will also make a start on updating the 7-a-side League pages here on our club website as soon as I get a chance.