THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Training Tonight

Due to the increasingly poor turnouts we are starting to get at training (and players moaning like hell that I didn't call it off when I 'knew' there was likely to be only 8 or less there), I texted everybody early yesterday evening asking for a 'Yes' or 'No' answer as to whether they can attend tonight or not.

Only 7 players ( Terry Moore, Barney, Cascoe, Daley, Tony King, Lexton & Lee King ) have replied to say they will attend, and in Lee & Lexton's case, only if John Scouller can attend, as they will not have a lift otherwise.

John is one of 4 players who have not replied. The others are Loveday, Martin Cruickshank & Tem.
It looks like Martin C has changed his mobile phone number, so I can't get hold of him. I don't know if Terry Moore has spoken to him ?
I also texted Kizza. He replied asking 'Where is training ?' I haven't bothered to text him back...yet. I didn't bother texting any other registered players, some of whom were attending training back in September/October but haven't been seen since.

Definitely not coming training tonight are: Jacko (Work Xmas Party), Hagan (Working up North), Ben (Working up North), Colin (Back Injury), Tim Beeden (Injured), Steve Cokell (Family Commitments).

So...the way I see it at the moment is training will only be on tonight if John Scouller gets in touch asap and says he is definitely coming...and picking up Lee & Lexton, then Martin C gets in touch and arranges a lift from Terry Moore (as usual), and Loveday is not working in Leeds...in which case we will then have 10 there, not including me. (Ideal for a good session when we have no goalkeeper).
If any of those 10 then drop out because they suddenly realise Man United are playing a crucial game live on TV tonight though (Daley ?), I will be well annoyed.

I will give John, Martin C & Loveday until 5.00.p.m. this evening to get in touch and confirm they are attending. If they don't, then I might have to call training off because there could only be 5 of us there (not including me).

Re: Training Tonight

Loveday is o.k. for training tonight.

I'd say it'd work fine with 8 of us there. Any less than that, and it's doable, but not as good.

Training is definitely on tonight. We have got 10 at least.

As mentioned on the match thread for this coming Sunday (v. Turnford Geese), we only had 4 players turn up to training tonight. 6 players dropped out between 5.00.p.m. & 9.00.p.m., mainly because they suddenly had to work late.
As far as I am concerned, that is always going to happen at this time of year, and although we have already paid for training next Wednesday, I cannot see the point in turning up and we should call it off now.

We are trying to arrange a Club Management Committee Meeting as soon as possible in order to make a decision on whether to re-book training for the rest of the season.
Personally I don't think we should, as we are unlikely to get any more new players joining us with only 8 games remaining after Christmas, we now only have a squad of 14 players who are all playing regularly on Sundays or with Saturday clubs anyway, and also quite a few of our players cannot afford to pay £10.00 subs a week (£7.00 a match, £3.00 for training) and are getting way behind. If we scrap training, we can charge only £5.00 per match for the rest of the season to help these players catch up with what they owe.
If we scrap training, players will then be keener for the Summer 7-a-side League when it starts in May.

We then re-start midweek training again at the start of next season (i.e. September) and review it at Christmas again.

Your thoughts are welcome.