THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for Sunday 11th December (Home to Turnford Geese)

Our next match this coming Sunday is at Home to Turnford Geese at Hazelwood.
We are currently in 4th place and they are one point behind in 5th with a game in hand, so this is an important match and we will be hoping to field the same 14 players who played in our last match on the 27th November when we beat Broxbourne Rangers Old Boys 4-1.
The squad will be confirmed after training on Wednesday night.

I know that Trevor needs to come on here himself and explain the following but I doubt whether he will have time, so I'll do the best I can, having spoken to him about it today...
Everything is going well at the moment when we are actually ON the pitch. We are in a good run of form and the tactics and balance of the side seems to be working. Some players have also improved their fitness to some extent, although obviously we need to be even more fitter and sharper to beat the likes of Flamstead End, FC Alpha and probably Cuffley.

However, despite our improved results, we have some players moaning like hell that training is 'boring' because all we do is stuff for Jacko's benefit (i.e. playing into one full-size goal all night), then we have other players moaning that training is 'boring' when Jacko is not there because we then do one/two-touch exercises in confined spaces without a keeper when they would rather have shooting practice all night or play open-play 5-a-side so that they can run with the ball like they are having a 'kickabout over the park' !

For matches, we then also have certain players 'demanding' that Trevor picks the same starting line-up the following week even when we have lost (because those players turned up and didn't let us down) and that if players come training they should automatically be put in the starting line-up the following Sunday. Sometimes that means 13 or 14 players 'should be' in the starting line-up if we went by those rules, but these players never say who should be dropped though, do they ?
Well sorry...but we have already had 8 seasons of 'playing for fun' in Division One and Trevor is quite rightly now picking his strongest starting line-up for every match from the squad we have available that particular week, especially as believe it or not, mathematically we could actually win the Division One title !
If that means somebody being sub two or more weeks in a row because Trevor doesn't think that player is quite good enough or fit enough to start or because we are playing a certain formation (and opponents), then tough. Trevor is the Manager and as far as I am concerned, our recent results suggest that he has got things right.

Remember we are not a semi-pro club with an Assistant Manager/Coach and bigger facilities for training where Jacko can have goalkeeping practice at one end while the players sharpen themselves up with other drills down the other end. We have to make the best of what we have got, but it is not easy when half our players are sitting at home 'resting injuries' because they think training is 'going to be' boring. If everybody turned up to training, Trevor (and everybody else) would be more motivated and we would have a better session.

We need to get behind Trevor, stop wingeing and turn up to training this coming Wednesday !
There are only two more training sessions left before Christmas. Let's not waste them !

Re: Squad for Sunday 11th December (Home to Turnford Geese)

Trev needs to dish out the hairdryer treatment to any whingers!

Remember we are still looking for an Assistant Manager, Rob !

Laurence
Remember we are still looking for an Assistant Manager, Rob !

You'd end up with no players left!

Rob gets my vote for assistant manager!

After all that, we only had 4 players turn up to training (Terry Moore, Tony King, Lee King & Lexton) when at 5.00.p.m. we had 10 players due to be attending. We therefore didn't train and sat in the bar watching Man United screw up.
The SHC turned the lights out on the pitch anyway as Hadley Green hadn't turned up either (on the next pitch).

Nevertheless, we do have a squad of 14 for this Sunday as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Alan Barnard
Martin Loveday
Terry Moore
Martin Cruickshank
Tony King
Danny Hagan
Daniel Cascoe
Steve Cokell
Lee King
Ben Keating
Daniel Daley
Lexton Harrison
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo

Kizza is replacing John Scouller in the squad. (John is working this Sunday).
With John not playing, Terry Moore has volunteered to pick up Ben, Lee & Lexton if Lexton does not have a van available.
Tony King is going to help me with the opening-up/nets job.

If we win this match we could go 3rd in the table as Enfield Crusaders (who are currently only ahead of us on goal difference) are playing FC Alpha this Sunday. On current form I would not expect Enfield Crusaders to win that one.

Hopefully our players will take this game seriously and go out on the p!ss after the match, as Loveday is trying to arrange the traditional Club Xmas 'All-Dayer' for this Sunday afternoon instead of the 18th when a lot of players are away...the idea being everyone goes down On Broadway (or some other local pub) to watch Stoke v. Spurs (and take the p!ss out of Jacko when Spurs trounce them ), then go for a curry afterwards...then spew up in the street after that !
The tradition is that even if players cannot be down the pub at 4.00.p.m. (Stoke v. Spurs Kick-Off time) or thereafter, at least come down for a pint straight after the match (which is what I normally do). It is good if we can get everybody along at some stage. We also normally get a lot of ex-Rovers players coming down and it's great for team spirit.
Hopefully Loveday will give more details before Sunday.

Laurence
After all that, we only had 4 players turn up to training (Terry Moore, Tony King, Lee King & Lexton)

5 players: I was there as well, albeit 15 minutes late, and I kept you updated by text to let you know I was going to be late, but that I would be training.

Barney
Laurence
After all that, we only had 4 players turn up to training (Terry Moore, Tony King, Lee King & Lexton)

5 players: I was there as well, albeit 15 minutes late, and I kept you updated by text to let you know I was going to be late, but that I would be training.
Noted.
I meant only 4 players there when they turned the lights out on us.
I didn't see your text until I got there at about 9.10.p.m. by the way.
That was because I was driving all round Enfield picking up Lex and Lee. I had to wait for Lex to get off a train at Brimsdown.

Nobody's fault really. Just one of those things. We decided to gamble on everybody turning up at 9.00.p.m. and most dropped out completely when they knew they couldn't.

I'm out for Sunday, been in bed the last two days with Norovirus, no chance of being fit enough in time.

I apologise for not being there my work although in Leeds kept me away. I will pay the subs as I beloeve training is a priv. Looks like I am in sticks on Sunday! Not going to work at a doo some good feedback but basically people are busy lacking money! Perhaps an end of season do in Feb is more appropriate.

I asked Hagan if he could persuade Olie to go in goal but apparently he can't get out of bed on Sunday mornings.
Darryl & Tim (Beeden) are both injured, so Loveday...it looks like you are 'definitely' in goal.

Martin Cruickshank didn't want to play this Sunday because he can't afford to pay his subs, but he is going to have to now as Lexton and Tony King both might not last a full match because of injuries. They both turned up on Wednesday night for a fitness test, but training was called off.
We are also still trying to find out whether Cascoe is playing. He seems to have disappeared.
We also have to hope that Kizza doesn't cry off like he normally does. He is yet to play in a League match this season.

i dont now if im coming or not ill let u now tomorro but im not going to be lino coz i dont like it

martin cruickshank
i dont now if im coming or not ill let u now tomorro but im not going to be lino coz i dont like it
You definitely won't be lino as we will probably only have a bare eleven.

Trev will do it anyway.

ill be there 2moz are we at home

martin cruickshank
ill be there 2moz are we at home
Yes, at home.