THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Training

Looking at the league table and moving on from what Lol has already mentioned, we are going to have a number of free weeks pretty soon, what do we feel about training on those Sundays that we are missing???? I'd love it!

Re: Training

Where though ?

There won't be any goalposts or pitches we can use as they will all have matches being played on them.

I'm pretty certain that not all pitches at Enfield playing fields will be used....

Jacko
I'm pretty certain that not all pitches at Enfield playing fields will be used....
Possibly, but we won't be able to put a net up for shooting practice. We will get thrown off by the groundsman if we do.

I know there was a game there sunday but over the back of our home pitch is usually free.
Or the pitch along side hedge lane?

I had a chat with various players last night regarding the idea of training on Sunday mornings when we haven't got a match and they were quite rightly concerned that when we have attempted it in the past, 'nobody' has turned up. Some said play a Friendly instead, but that would have to be on an Astroturf as we will not be able to book a grass pitch anywhere...unless St. Mary's are playing Away and we can use Hazelwood (as we did last season when we played Churchbury in a Friendly). If we haven't got a game though, St. Mary's will almost certainly be playing at Home.

I can fully understand why Jacko wants training on a Sunday morning as it is an ideal opportunity for him to dive about on grass. Likewise Steve Cokell because he is the only one of our current regular players who cannot come training on Wednesday nights. As far as the rest of our players are concerned, they just won't be up for it and will either go away for the weekend or have a lie-in because they are already training on Wednesday nights...and in some cases with their Saturday or work teams on other nights of the week. That was the 'vibes' I was getting last night, anyway.

The problem is that we are now down to just 14 players (not including Darryl).
These are Jacko, Barney, Loveday, Terry Moore, Hagan, Cokell, Tony, Martin C, Daley, Lexton, Ben, Lee, John & Cascoe.
All our other registered players are either out with long-term injuries (including Tim Beeden who is now the latest one) or have simply lost interest because they can't come training on Wednesdays or cannot afford to pay their subs. Because we have got a settled side now, they know they will only be a sub on a Sunday if they make themselves available, so they are therefore not going to come training on a Sunday morning just for that.

At training last night, we only had 7 players there because Jacko was babysitting, Cascoe was injured, Daley was working in Peterborough, Ben was working in Norwich, and Loveday & Lexton didn't turn up. Presumably Loveday and Lexton were both working as well, with Loveday up in Leeds again ? Colin and Tim (two others who have been coming training regularly) both now have what appear to be long-term injuries, so for our three remaining Wednesday night sessions before Christmas (30th Nov, 7th Dec & 14th Dec), we are quite likely to have only 7 or 8 turning up to those as well. Maybe 10 at the most if we are lucky.
If Daley, Ben & Loveday's jobs up North continue until Christmas, then we are going to have a problem, likewise if players do not recover from injuries. We can't keep training on Wednesday nights with only 7 there, and if that happens, we will have to scrap training for the rest of the season...unless we find some new players from somewhere, but then new players are not going to join when they know they will only be a sub because we are fielding a regular 12-14 players on Sundays and playing well.
It's possible that Daley, Ben & Loveday might be prepared to train on Sunday 4th December (when we don't have a match) because they are all working up North in midweek at the moment, but I can't see anybody else doing so and it will just be those three plus Jacko & Steve in attendance.

In some ways, we are starting to become a victim of our success in finally fielding a settled side after all these years !