THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goal Of The Decade Contenders

Doubt whether anybody will be bothering to look at the Forum today or tomorrow (Bank Holiday), but I'll post this anyway.

I'm just compiling candidates for the Goal Of The Decade (2000's) which will be narrowed down to a Top 20 for you to vote on at the AGM (if I can get it done in time) and to be shown on You Tube thereafter.

For the 1990's Goal Of The Decade Top 20, I looked at what myself and Trevor chose as our Top Three's for each Goal Of The Season competition for that decade and then narrowed them down to the best 20 from that.
However, during the last few years, and particularly for the last Goal Of The Season DVD (Top 10) that was shown at an AGM (for Season 2008-2009), a lot of players were moaning like hell about what was chosen as the Top Three and that some goals had been left out of the Top 10 when they should have even won the competition !
You may recall that a goal from Jamie Martin won it that year as it came from a good passing move against Division One Champions Enfield Royals, and that was the reason I voted that as my No.1...because it was a quality move straight from the kick-off against a good side. (Trevor didn't choose the Top Three that year because he was too busy, but we have both often taken the standard of the opposition into account when choosing our Top Three, and we will also reward great pieces of skill by naming them in the Top Three whatever the standard of opposition).
The second & third placed goals that I chose that season were almost identical free-kicks into the top corner by Terry Brown and Tony King, which I considered to be great pieces of skill and spectacular-looking goals for the video.
From the complaints I got after choosing those three goals (and other Top Threes in previous seasons) though, it appears to me that the main criteria for our players if they were choosing our best 20 goals of the decade would be: A) What were the most memorable goals in terms of team spirit and celebrations at the time (e.g. winning or equalising goals in close matches by players who don't normally score...one that Jim Arrowsmith scored Away to Northmet springs to mind), and B) Goals scored against teams who we 'don't like', irrespective of the technical quality of the goal.

Another consideration when I am choosing a Top 10 for a Goal Of The Season and a Top 20 for a Goal Of The Decade is that if I have got 20 candidates for a Goal Of The Season Top 10 and 10 of those goals were scored by Conor (for example), then I will try to make sure that it does not end up with all of Conor's goals included. If other players have scored similar quality goals, then their goals will be preferred for inclusion in the Top 10 (and Top 20 for the Goal Of The Decade). Conor will still have more goals included than anybody else...there's no question of that...but it's being fair to others and it makes it easier for people to vote if there are say 8 different names in a Top 10 or 15-16 different names in a Top 20.

I will be working on both the Goal Of The Season and Goal Of The Decade DVD's today and tomorrow, so now is the time to give your thoughts.

Re: Goal Of The Decade Contenders

Right...I've decided on the Top 10 for the Goal Of The Season DVD.
They are as follows (in date order):
A) Daley in a Pre-Season Friendly v. Larsens (Good move)
B) Smithy screamer Away to East Herts
C) Conor volley from Terry Moore 'great knock' against Broxbourne Rangers Old Boys at Enfield Playing Fields.
D) Stuart solo goal against Flamstead End at Hazelwood
E) Lexton fast run & drilled low shot Away to Broxbourne Rangers Old Boys
F) Lexton battling goal Away to AFC Cheshunt
G) Conor tap-in from Kizza one-two with Smithy Home to East Herts
H) Conor good finish from Hagan through ball against St. Mary's
I) Barney good finish on the break against St. Mary's
J) John Scouller dipping half-volley from near the touchline against Asco

I have left out the following from my shortlist...and some people will definitely complain !:
- Loveday free-kick against Larsens (Friendly)
- Smithy battling goal Away to Wormley
- Terry Moore swerving shot against Kensington Athletic (Oppo given up)
- Lexton 25-yard shot away to Hop Poles after picking himself up off the floor
- Conor goal Away to Charlton United (because of weak challenge by a defender)...I am definitely going to get complaints about leaving this one out because of who the opposition were, but I thought some of Conor's other goals this season were better.
- Conor lob over keeper against St. Mary's...because I didn't get the build-up very well on video !
- John Scouller dragback and shot into top corner against St. Mary's (Slow build-up and half their players were injured/knackered).
- Conor tap-in into empty net against St. Mary's after quality move...left out because of defensive mix-up by them.

So there you go.
Sorry if what you consider is Goal Of The Season is not in the Top 10, but I have got to get on with editing it today otherwise it won't be done in time for the AGM...and Trev is coming round to pick the Top Three tomorrow.

to avoid complications (& add a bit of extra excitement!) you could have a Stuart & Conor Top 20 from the last 20 years!!! Seeing as we're both retiring

....for the avoidance of doubt.....I know not why my left biceop is appearing. Lol/Barney or some other techie person please fix!

Conor...I have no idea why that is happening.
I have just checked the image where it is stored in the website and nothing has changed. The dimensions are 115 x 106 pixels there...similar to my avatar.

However, it had got 'tangled up' with another larger image, so maybe that was what the problem was, but now I have untangled the images and updated the site, your two previous postings should have re-sized back to normal...but they have not, even with a 'refresh'.
Can you try posting another message now to see if it's alright. If it's still too big, delete it.

It will then have to be 'over to you, Barney' I think !

Re showing some of yours and Stuart's old goals at the AGM, I am planning to put the 1990's Goal Of The Decade on a DVD and show that. I know some of your goals (and weird hair styles !) are on there, but I'm not sure if there are any of Stuart.

I have now done the 2000's Goal Of The Decade DVD.
Just waiting for Trev to choose his Top Three now.

Personally I think the photos is OK as it is... it's a lovely shot of a Waltham Abbey estate, only spoiled by some random's left arm in the foreground.