THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer 7-a-Side League

The application forms have come through for the Summer 7-a-side League at the Southgate Hockey Centre, so it is now time for us to decide whether we are going to enter just one team (on a Thursday ?) or two teams, one in the Thursday Night League and one in the Monday Night League.

From the amount of players who have been turning up to training this season and us having plenty of players wanting to play 7-a-side last Summer, we could well have a lot more than 8 players wanting to play each Thursday, so do we want to enter a team in the Monday Night League as well ?
The key to that might be what AFC Bush Hill Park (Jim Arrowsmith's Monday night team) are doing, and also McKenzie Rangers. I seem to remember Jim telling me last Summer that AFC Bush Hill Park are not going to enter this year, so if that's the case, can Jim, Gavin Mardell, Tim Beeden (in goal) and hopefully Aaron Illsley play for us on Monday nights instead ?
Also, we know that McKenzies are thinking about folding at the end of this season for 11-a-side with some of their players joining (and re-joining) us, but Nev (their Secretary) told me they were still going to enter the 7-a-side League this Summer when they didn't last Summer. Obviously, if they don't enter the 7-a-side League this Summer, then again we will have some of their players to choose from if we want to enter two teams (one on Mondays and one on Thursdays).
I am also expecting a lot of new players from other sources wanting to play/trial with us at 7-a-side during the Summer.

Another thing to think about is how much to charge players per match. The entry fee is still £60 per team and then £36 per match, but having a squad of 8 paying only £5.00 each means we make no real profit whatsoever to pay for washing the kit and other minor expenses....and when we only have a bare seven (which happens quite often because of last-minute work commitments), we make a loss.
I therefore think we should charge £6.00 per match, or maybe even £7.00 (as we do now for 11-a-side).
Don't forget that the facilities are excellent, as for 7.00. & 8.00.p.m. kick-offs we invariably use the changing rooms, showers & bar as well...unlike training over there, for which we only charge £3.00 each (not including the £2.00 from the subsidised 11-a-side match fees).

Your thoughts please.

Re: Summer 7-a-Side League

Happy to go with £6 or £7 per game, although perhaps some kind of pro-rata, so £6 or £7 if it's a bare 7, dropping down to £5 or £6 if we have subs (or possibly more than one sub)...

As for the leagues, I'll probably only be able to play one night (Thursdays ideally), but may be able to help out on Monday nights at times if needs be (as long as you don't expect me to shoot after Wednesday's showing).

Cheers
Barney

Barney
dropping down to £5 or £6 if we have subs (or possibly more than one sub)...
I don't know at this stage who is picking the squads for each match, but I do know that having a squad of 9 or 10 causes massive problems and Trevor will not want that. I will get changed and be the 9th player when I am there...in case we get two injuries or more than one player stuck at work and missing the kick-off.
Even with a squad of 8 we get players moaning about having to come off for a rest...mainly because they have a rest while they are actually playing in not chasing back when our opponents are attacking !

I'm actually hoping to play a few games on pitch.

I would prefer to play Monday's as I have football on Thursday lunch times. I know my mate Andy is keen to play but would also prefer Monday's and some other people I know may be keen. I would be happy to run a Monday team.

I wanna play both days plse I wanna win
Things next year so want to
Push myself through the summer
Fitness wise

Smithy
I wanna play both days plse I wanna win
Things next year so want to
Push myself through the summer
Fitness wise
The way I see it is that priority for playing 7-a-side should be given to those who want to play 11-a-side for us.
If we have eight 11-a-side players available for a Monday night match and then a different eight 11-a-side players available for the Thursday Night match that week, then no way do we leave a player out so that somebody can play both nights.

So...if Loveday's mate Andy (for example) only wants to play 7-a-side and is not interested in playing 11-a-side for us but is part of an 8-man squad for a particular Monday Night match alongside seven 11-a-side players, then it would be fair to leave him out and put Smithy in instead, even if Smithy is already playing the following Thursday.

I think that's definitely the fairest way of doing things ?

Tim
I'm actually hoping to play a few games on pitch.
We will therefore need to find another goalkeeper then, as I wouldn't have thought Jacko will be able to play twice a week. There will also be weeks when he is working abroad and won't be able to play at all.
In the past we have used Oz in goal, but after the way he left us earlier this season, I wouldn't have thought he would want to play for us again !?
I have still got those text messages saved and they were pretty nasty and a complete load of nonsense. He will need to apologise to me first for a start.

We also know that Darryl won't play 7-a-side. He can't get there from working in Battersea anyway.

Finding a goalkeeper (or two) is probably the key to us being able to enter two teams.

up for both nights to play and i will get in the ears of some players i could persuade...say that every summer but im sre a bit of mdma will help

I Know Martin Worthington is well up for this, as for me, well I'll always play one night a weeks when I'm around, but I cannot commit to two nights a week. Yes, now and again I might be able to do it, but not regularly.

I am interested and available to play on either night

Il be lookin to do both nights. The earlier games I might have a little problem with but other then that count me in.

I should be able to play monday nights.

Jim Arrowsmith says he is not entering his AFC Bush Hill Park team in the Monday Night League this year, so he will play for us, as will Tim Beeden, Gavin Mardell, Aaron Illsley (very good player) and others if needed.

The only thing stopping us from entering two teams now is the lack of a goalkeeper.
As soon as we find somebody willing to go in goal on the night(s) when Jacko cannot play, then I will fill in the application forms to enter a team in both the Monday Night and Thursday Night Leagues.

I don't know what is happening with McKenzie Rangers at the moment. I tried contacting their Secretary but he hasn't replied.
If they are not entering a team, maybe their keeper might play 7-a-side for us...even though he 'dives feet first'.

Another possibility is that goalkeeper who was going to join us about 4 years ago but chopped his finger off in an accident at work. (Trev's step-son's mate).

I'll play on both nights if needed