THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GAME OFF !!! (Sunday 23rd January)

Would you believe it ? Wormley Rovers have just phoned to say they can't get a side out, so the game is off and we get the points !
I know we were struggling ourselves, but we probably would have had a squad of 13 by the look of it.

Personally, I think we MUST use the pitch for a training session, and I will be annoyed if players now say they will do something else now we haven't got a match. Fair enough if we were playing Away, but we have got the pitch at Hazelwood and have paid for it. Also, the weather is supposed to be perfect for football this weekend.
We have the four new players who can now join in, I will do so as well, and hopefully we can get the likes of Tem, Tim & Gavin along as well ?
Could Loveday go in goal at one end if we get enough for a 10-a-side, despite his groin strain ?

We can open up the changing rooms and showers and put nets up, so I will get there early to do that as long as I know that everybody is up for it.
I want everybody meeting there at 10.00.a.m. as normal.
Trev has got the bibs and the training balls. Players must bring their own kit (and shinpads).

If we were playing a match, we would have had to pay the Ref £35, so we are saving that, but we still need some sort of income to offset the subs that we would have collected in for playing a match. I propose we charge each player in attendance £3.00 each (the same as we do for training on Wednesday nights) ?

All in agreement ?
Please indicate if you are going to be there on Sunday or not.

Re: GAME OFF !!! (Sunday 23rd January)

I still be there, you've missed a trick there though Lau.

You should have kept the news to yourself until everybody had arrived on Sunday morning, they could have been persuaded to train then!

Rob
I still be there, you've missed a trick there though Lau.

You should have kept the news to yourself until everybody had arrived on Sunday morning, they could have been persuaded to train then!
Believe it or not, we have done that before and players then turned up and said 'Oh good, I'm off home then so the missus can go out. Have to earn some brownie points'.

Best to get an idea of numbers beforehand I think.
Be great if we could get some of our ex-players from the 90's down there and have an Old Boys match. We haven't had one of them for over 10 years now. They used to be great. P!ss-up down On Broadway afterwards as well.
Will probably be too short notice now though ?

I'm apprehensive about this. Last 2 weeks we've had 11 & 12 for a match with loads of last minute cry offs. Whilst I've got no problem committing to travel for matches - I'd be livid if I turned up Sunday and we have 7 or something - total waste of time.

So for the time being I'm remianing firmly on the fence and will monitor the situation through the weekend.

Magoo
I'm apprehensive about this. Last 2 weeks we've had 11 & 12 for a match with loads of last minute cry offs. Whilst I've got no problem committing to travel for matches - I'd be livid if I turned up Sunday and we have 7 or something - total waste of time.

So for the time being I'm remianing firmly on the fence and will monitor the situation through the weekend.
I have no problem with that. Sensible idea.

I'm pleased to say that nobody has dropped out yet.
Stuart is Manager for the Hop Poles game the week after though, and if I was him, I would drop players for that match if they don't turn up this Sunday after saying they are coming.

I will be there with my passport photograph. Would be good to get another chance to build up some much needed fitness. Next Sunday is Huddersfield at home at 12:00 (stupid time, didn't think Sunday matches would clash) so I couldn't make it, but I am not fit enough to play a competitive match yet anyway. Wednesday night was the first time I had run around in months.

Rob
I will be there with my passport photograph. Would be good to get another chance to build up some much needed fitness. Next Sunday is Huddersfield at home at 12:00 (stupid time, didn't think Sunday matches would clash) so I couldn't make it, but I am not fit enough to play a competitive match yet anyway. Wednesday night was the first time I had run around in months.
Best to put your surname on the post Rob, as we already have a Rob playing for us who doesn't put his surname on posts, is also an Arsenal supporter, and is 'not fit'.
It was only you saying about the passport photo that I recognised the post was from Rob Dodds (new player).
See you on Sunday.

Can Rob Brown please start putting his surname on here now ? ...so we don't get confused.

I spoke to Trev last night who agreed with Rob (Brown) that it was best not to tell anybody that the game was off so that they would all still turn up.
However, we can't do that as they now need to bring their own kit, so they have to be told. Sorry, but I'm not bringing the kit we use for matches and then washing that after a training session !

I have therefore just texted everybody (apart from those who are away this weekend anyway) and told them that if they do not turn up tomorrow and then don't come training on Wednesday either, then they will not be in the squad for the Hop Poles match next week.
If Trev puts them in, I will ignore him ! He is not going to be there next Sunday anyway.

It's a lack of fitness that has been letting us down in matches recently, not a lack of quality. We will not beat Hop Poles by putting in our best players for that match if they have not been training. We will be better off putting in fitter players who do come training (in my opinion).

I will come down. I may be able to train I might not I don't know yet but will go in goal at the end no problem.

Nobody has e-mailed or texted me yet to say they are not coming tomorrow, so it's looking good for a useful session at the moment.

By my reckoning there should be 20 there including myself & Trevor but not including Conor or Danny Hagan.

Laurence if u don't want to name the players
Who dnt train on Sunday or
Weds don't bother phoning us
On a Sunday when ur short
I can't train on weds and hav
Decided to go to work today
Cos we hav no games I dnt
Work on Sundays to play football for rovers
Then I read this bollix on ere