THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broomfield Clubhouse Membership & Training Costs

I have started a new thread for this to make things easier.

I have just been over Hazelwood and had a chat with the Broomfield Manager. He was over there helping the Council groundsmen put the pitches up. (I'll report on that on the AFC Cheshunt match thread).
He says membership is £10.00 per person per year for use of their clubhouse, not £8.00, but he thinks it's a good idea for us (and St. Mary's if they want to) to use it after our matches, as only the Bowls club use it on Sundays and they will be glad of the extra revenue.

The question now is whether we can we pay that and use their clubhouse after this Sunday's match, as I don't think it's a good idea to go down On Broadway just for one game when they have been our kit sponsors for years. Best not to go there at all this season I think. ...which would then mean we probably won't have a drink anywhere after this Sunday's game.

Looking at the Players' Directory I sent out to all club members last week, we have 28 current club members who should be attending matches at Hazelwood at some stage this season. That includes Tim Beeden & Gavin Mardell, and with Rory Richards replacing Steve Sivathasan on that list.
So...we could in theory write out a club cheque for £280.00 to give to Broomfield on Sunday for those 28 club members, but Jacko would have to check that is o.k. first and that membership cards do not have to be processed first before we can gain entry on Sunday. I can e-mail Jacko an updated Players Directory to give to Broomfield.
If we did this, we would have to add on £10.00 to everybody's Annual Subs, but there is no question whatsoever that a lot of players will not pay it because a) They might only be playing occasionally this season and b) They have no intention of staying for a drink after Home matches because of family commitments.
If we do it the other way round and say you can't have a drink in Broomfield's clubhouse afterwards unless you pay the bloke behind the bar (Jacko's father-in-law ?) £10.00 the first time you go in there, we are going to end up with a situation where only three or four of us go in there this Sunday, maybe another three or four after the next Home game, and maybe one or two others sometime in November. Probably half of our players won't bother at all because of the reasons a & b that I stated earlier.
Again, Jacko needs to check how Broomfield want to do it in terms of payment. Can we go in on Sunday and pay £10.00 each in cash ?

So...any ideas ?
What's the best way of doing it ?

Now onto the cost of Training at the Southgate Hockey Centre from next Wednesday onwards.
I have just found out that it costs £54.00 per week...just for half a pitch for an hour !
That means if we get an average of 12 players turning up each week (not including myself & Trevor), it works out at £4.50 per person.
As we charge £5.00 each for playing 7-a-side over there, I would say it is probably best to charge the same for all those who attend training.
The problem with that is it may well put people off from attending if they are a regular in the side on Sundays, and we will definitely have a problem with players who do not play very often on Sundays turning up to training and not paying anything on the night.
We do have a club rule that if you owe over £20.00 in Weekly Subs (which includes training), then you do not get picked for the squad on a Sunday, but what happened the last time we trained on an Astroturf and tried to charge everyone in attendance is that players not in the squad on Sundays were not bothered by that £20.00 rule because they knew they would get called up anyway because of players dropping out.
Players also knew that we couldn't stop them from coming training and not paying anything because it would only leave about 5 people there (including myself & Trev) and then we would just go straight home again.

If we book the Astroturf for training, we have got to commit for the whole season. We will not be allowed to cancel sessions and get a refund. If we get players' mates and trialists turning up and not paying anything (or get less than 12 there most weeks), then we are going to be in serious shit financially...unless we get a lot of sponsorship this season.

Ignore my post on the other thread about letting players train for free. We obviously can't do that.
£5.00 per person is a must. What I need is assurances that if a club member turns up with 3 or 4 mates who want to join, then they collect their mates' £5.00's in and make sure myself or Trevor are given the money on the night.

Re: Broomfield Clubhouse Membership & Training Costs

Regarding the Broomfield membership, I don't think we should go down the route of asking people to pay individually for the reasons that you've already listed. Would it be possible to speak with Broomfield to see whether we can join as a club, rather than individuals (say for £150 or £200)?

This would be on the basis that we wouldn't ever get more than 15 or 20 people down there at a time. We could then charge people in the squad an extra £10 annual subs, or an extra £1 per game if it's easier. The way I look at it is that if the beer is a lot cheaper than Broadway, you'll make up your £10 (and more) over the season (or in Lovedays case, you'll make it up the first time you go in there )

Cheers
Barney

On your first point, no way should we fork out for 28 memebers. Considering that we wil be bringing money into the club on a day where they themselves claim they have nothing really then i think they should be flexible.
I cannot ever forsee that more than 15 and that is overestimating in my opinion will come into the bar at any one point, so can we not pay the equivalent and if at any point more than 15 turn up we pay another persons fee? Also does this mean that no oppo would be welcome in the bar as they are not social memebers?

My thoughts are if we cannot sort out something suitable then we just carry on as we are or look for somewhere differnet.

On your second point regarding training i do not know any club that does not charge training, even most saturday teams charge extra for training midweek so people should expect to pay. We get money off people before they are allowed to train and any excuses are at the managers discretion. If as many people want to train as have said in the past this should not be a problem.

Loveday
I cannot ever forsee that more than 15 and that is overestimating in my opinion will come into the bar at any one point, so can we not pay the equivalent and if at any point more than 15 turn up we pay another persons fee? Also does this mean that no oppo would be welcome in the bar as they are not social memebers?
That's a very good point regarding the oppo. What's Broomfield's stance regarding that ?

Loveday
On your second point regarding training .... We get money off people before they are allowed to train and any excuses are at the managers discretion. If as many people want to train as have said in the past this should not be a problem.
The Manager's discretion will most definitely be 'O.K. then, pay us next week'. He won't have any choice.
I think we all know that when the Champions League is on, loads of regular players will blow out training when they initially said they would still turn up. It's human nature. (Sofa Mode).
That means we will have to let 'mates with no money' train to make up the numbers.
It's up to the club members who bring these people along to realise that they will be putting their own club in the shit if they don't get them to pay on the night (or don't pay the money for them).

By the way...we must have a rule whereby no players will be allowed to attend training if they play for other Sunday clubs, just want to get fit, and have no intention of playing for us on Sundays.
I don't mind ex-Rovers players coming along who are looking to get fit for Veterans Football though, and obviously trialists.

At old minch it was always a case of everyone who played for the club had to be a 'club member' so payed like broofield are asking for we then allowed the oppo into spend their money at our bar which was good for us. I'm suren they'll work on the same principle.

steve cokell
At old minch it was always a case of everyone who played for the club had to be a 'club member' so payed like broofield are asking for we then allowed the oppo into spend their money at our bar which was good for us. I'm suren they'll work on the same principle.
Yes, I think that's correct. It's a courtesy thing in the AFA Leagues and part of their rules. The Broomfield Manager did mention that when I spoke to him this morning, so I presume the same would apply for us Sunday footballers.

The oppo will only be using the bar once (or maybe twice) a season, whereas we would be using it for every Home game and also the Away games we will be playing at Hazelwood this year.
We can even go back there after Away games in Cheshunt, although a lot of places we are playing at this season have their own bar (e.g. Wormley Rovers & Cheshunt Cricket Club).

We're missing an important point here fellas. What's the standard of the barmaids in the Broomfield clubhouse? I know the On Broadway barmaid standard has slipped a bit in recent years but the old fellas can still have a gander and be happy.

Laurence if people do not pay they are simply making everyone pay for them and i for one will not be happy about that. If people fail to pay more than once without agreeing something with Trevor then they do not train!

What is the problem with letting other Sunday league players train with us? Yes if they are in our league but other than that if they pay and add to the session surely its just another way to attract new players?

Loveday
Laurence if people do not pay they are simply making everyone pay for them and i for one will not be happy about that. If people fail to pay more than once without agreeing something with Trevor then they do not train!
I agree. The main problem in the past has been that myself and Trevor have run the club on our own as far as training is concerned, because no other Management Committee members have been able to attend.
I admit that standing in front of someone who has travelled 20 miles to come training and then telling them they can't because they have not got any money on them is not something either of us will probably ever have the 'bottle' to do. If you and Terry don't mind telling them, then great.

Loveday
What is the problem with letting other Sunday league players train with us? Yes if they are in our league but other than that if they pay and add to the session surely its just another way to attract new players?
Yes if they play for other Sunday clubs but are thinking of joining us instead (e.g. Steve Sivathasan).
No if they are only coming along because their Sunday club don't have training and we are already getting 14 (the ideal number) current players and trialists turning up every week.

I would rather have recently retired ex-players who still turn up and watch matches now and again...(e.g. Del & Gary Cokell) turning up to make up the numbers than players from other clubs who have no intention of joining us.

Players from Norsemen and other Saturday sides who might be tempted to join us if they come along...Yes. No problem, but if players are committed to their current Sunday side, then No.

Training is now confirmed.
I have just told the Southgate Hockey Centre that we will go for it. Wednesday evenings from this coming Wednesday evening onwards...Champions League on telly or not !
We will meet at the pavilion at 8.15.p.m. in case players need to get changed, then at 8.30.p.m. on the dot, we go for a run to the bottom of Snakes Lane and back, maybe pausing to do some stretching at the Oakwood Station end (I wait to be advised on that), and then again back in the car park before we start on the Astroturf at 9.00.p.m.

All players MUST pay their £5.00's to myself or Trevor on the night, either when they turn up at 8.15, or after the Snakes Lane run (if they have turned up late for that).
If anybody turns up without money, whoever brought them along will have to pay for them. If they don't, then the player with no money will only be allowed to train if we have less than 14 there.

No players will be allowed to train on the Astroturf if they are wearing studs/blades. They must wear Astroturf boots or trainers only.
You will probably need to bring different trainers for the Snakes Lane run.
All players must bring their own kit and their own water. (Same as 7-a-side matches).

If current players want to bring mates/trialists along, you will need to get permission from myself and/or Trevor in advance.

I think that covers everything. Hopefully we all agree ?
I will repeat all this in a new thread on here on Monday and in my usual e-mail.

As for the Broomfield clubhouse situation, we need to hear from Jacko regarding how and when they want to be paid and whether they need a list of club members names, photos for I.D.'s or whatever before we can sort out payments per person.
In particular, whether they would be happy with Barney's suggestion of a club payment of £120-150 per season based on an average number of our players (e.g. 12-15) going in there after each match.
...and we also need confirmation that our opponents are invited in there afterwards for free.

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention...the Broomfield Manager said they do not have Sky in there...I think because they can't afford the licence.
Can Jacko also confirm that please ? Hope that doesn't make a big difference

Persoally I think not having sky will be a bit of a problem for people staying for a while but probably not those who are going to just have the 1.

I think we r paying too much to them because we are bringing custom to them every week,also who ever wants to go to the clubhouse should go and pay themselfs the club shouldnt pay up in advance,ask jacko to strike some sort of deal with them cos we will be spending in there after all.

finger my fucking spider they dont have sky? and they want to CHARGE US to go in there? that really is shocking, cant we get them a moody sky box from someone? i aint got a problem with an £8 membership but when they dont even have sky they are ever so slightly taking the piss in my opinion

Danny Hagan
finger my fucking spider they dont have sky? and they want to CHARGE US to go in there? that really is shocking, cant we get them a moody sky box from someone? i aint got a problem with an £8 membership but when they dont even have sky they are ever so slightly taking the piss in my opinion
I don't know if this was discussed in the changing rooms today, but not having Sky in the Broomfield clubhouse is most definitely a problem, and it looks to me as if most of our players would prefer to pay more for a beer and be able to watch Sky than just have one cheap beer and then drive home after only 30 minutes.
...so probably a non-starter this idea, and it's either The Beehive or On Broadway with only a handful of us going down there.