THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad For Pre-Season Friendly v. Continental (Sunday 22nd August)

This coming Sunday sees us playing Premier Division side CONTINENTAL in our 3rd Pre-Season Friendly on the grass pitch at the Southgate Hockey Centre (where we play 7-a-side on Thursday nights). 10.30.a.m. Kick-Off.

As usual, we don't have a particularly clear idea about who exactly is available, so all I can do at the moment is list everyone who myself and Trevor think might be available, then it's up to them to let us know as soon as possible if they are not. These are as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Darryl Johnson (GK)
Olie Tedder
Andrew Warmerdam
Lexton Harrison
Jim Arrowsmith
Terry Moore
Dean Assiamah
Rob Brown
Danny Hagan
James Mandell
Lee King
Daniel Daley
Steve Cokell
Danny Smith
Terry Brown
Jamie Martin

That's a squad of 17, and if all of those can play, that would be excellent.

We then have the following players who might also be available:
Martin Loveday (Would like to drop out because he will be pissed from the night before ! Will play if needed though.)
Stuart Dorward (Is at a Stag Do in Sussex the night before and might be staying down there. Is still on holiday at the moment, so we won't know until he gets back...on Saturday ?)
Ozel Ozerman's Two Mates (Oz is on holiday and gets back on Saturday, but before he went away, he said he has two mates who want to join us and he would bring them along for this game. Both are ex-Semi-Pro's apparently, but I have no idea what positions they play in).

The following players are definitely not available at the moment:
Alan Barnard (Can't remember what he said now, but it was either because he will be too pissed from a party the night before or because he is practising for his London-Hastings cycle ride the following Sunday. Bit of a contrast there I know ! )
Conor McGovern (Still injured...according to Jacko. Think he might be going to the V Festival anyway ?)
Tony King (Family/Social Commitments)
Tem Adil (Injured. Out for a couple more weeks).
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo (On stage in Brighton ? )
Julian Carvey (No lift from Kizza)

We have never played Continental before, but they have been running for even longer than us !
They were formed way back in the 50's and during the 70's and 80's they were pretty much the top Sunday team in London. They then left our League just as we joined in the late-80's and went and played in the Forest Sunday League in Walthamstow until that League folded about 3 years ago. Since returning to our League though (straight back into the Premier Division), they have struggled a bit and like us, are trying to re-build with a younger side.
Once again, it is a good Pre-Season test for us against a Premier Division side.

Re: Squad For Pre-Season Friendly v. Continental (Sunday 22nd August)

Available

Available

Available

I am available and will be there.

Available

Just an update on this.

It's not looking too bad at the moment, as Steve Cokell is the only one who has definitely dropped out. (Too busy moving house and will not be available until mid-September).
Loveday will therefore now replace him in the squad.

As usual, a number of players won't bother confirming on here or by text/e-mail because they said 'See you next week' last Sunday (as if they knew they would definitely be in the squad !? ), so we will just take it that they are definitely turning up.

There are one or two others who only want to turn up if they are guaranteed 90 minutes, and others who only want to play half a game so they can shoot off early for dinner with the in-laws (again ?).
I will leave you all to guess who those 'culprits' are !

Don't forget...be there by 9.45.a.m. for a proper warm-up starting at 10.00.a.m.
Is Jacko going to supervise that ? (Barney is not there this Sunday...or the next).

I will be there but i have an ear infection and would prefer not to play.

I'll be there, I assume Tel still is too. I will ask Tel to confirm with Jamie tonight.

my self and jamie are there sunday

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

The way it stands at the moment, there are only two players from the initial 17 listed who I am a bit unsure about because have not confirmed either on here, by text or by e-mail, namely Warmers and Lexton.
Both of them need to turn up tomorrow with a passport photo so that I can get them registered.
Warmers said he was going to post me a photo, but I haven't received it.

I am sure Warmers said last Sunday that he was available to play again this week, while Lexton didn't say he wasn't available when he dropped out for last week's match.
I know it's against club rules, but they are going to have to be chased up as Barney and Loveday are not playing, so we are short of defenders.

Warmers is not playing and neither is Dean.
Lexton is playing though, and so is Danny Smith, so it looks like we now have 14 definites (including two goalkeepers).
These are as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Darryl Johnson (GK)
Olie Tedder
Terry Moore
Rob Brown
Jim Arrowsmith
Lee King
Danny Hagan
Danny Smith
Terry Brown
James Mandell
Daniel Daley
Lexton Harrison
Jamie Martin

We then have Martin Loveday & Stuart Dorward who are both ill at the moment but might play if we are short.
We definitely do not want players voluntarily dropping out because they are going out on the piss tonight though ! (I have just been reading messages posted on Facebook and am fearing the worst !).

How did we do?

Tem
How did we do?
Lost 3-1 ...and we were lucky it was not 10-1 !