THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Club Website

As some of you might have seen, I have totally re-designed the club website (using different software) and put it online today.
It is still at the same address...www.edmontonrovers.co.uk and the link to the Forum is on the Home page.

There is no information on any of the pages yet, as that will be a gradual process over the coming months.
I have got to re-design the League website first, and that will take me the rest of the month.

I will let everybody know on here when I have got some info on any pages, both for our website and the League one.
Unfortunately I am not going to have time to edit any Rovers matches from the end of last season, the Pre-Season Friendlies or the opening League games from this season until November, as I have got to spend the next three months editing Tournaments that I filmed during the Summer (and doing the League website).
Unfortunately these are an absolute priority over any Rovers stuff...in the same way that earning brownie points from the missus are for most of our players.

That means no Goal Of The Season or Goal Of The Decade until then, no AGM for last season and no end-of-season Awards just yet.
Sorry about the inconvenience, but I'll catch up with everything in the end.

Re: New Club Website

To answer Darryl's 'Witches Hat' question, blame Broomfield. They put that there.

That is only a temporary background picture by the way. I will take a better picture for the website once we get over there this season.

By the way, McKenzie Rangers and a team from another League are both playing over Hazelwood this season...on the other pitch.
They are being given keys as well as well as us and St. Mary's and whoever is last out of the showers cleans them up.
Barney, you have been warned !

Laurence
They are being given keys as well as well as us and St. Mary's and whoever is last out of the showers cleans them up.

Don't think that's fair at all - can we not get in touch with them, and agree a rota between us for the games we're both playing at home? Obviously if we're the only ones at home, it's up to us.

Barney
Laurence

Don't think that's fair at all - can we not get in touch with them, and agree a rota between us for the games we're both playing at home? Obviously if we're the only ones at home, it's up to us.
I don't know who the other team are yet and we won't find out until us or St. Mary's play our first home games at the same time as they are playing on the other pitch. Enfield Council won't tell us. They say it's 'confidential information'

The problem is that McKenzies and the other team will be playing on Pitch 2 on strictly alternate weeks (because they are in different Leagues) whereas ourselves and St. Mary's don't stick to that on Pitch One because we are in the same League...and the fixtures are only arranged for two weeks at a time.

I have now re-designed the Home Page, although I still have a picture on there of Hazelwood in a waterlogged state (as it is the only one I have got !).
I will take a better picture when we get over there in September. (For the benefit of any prospective new players, our Home pitch is normally like a bowling green !).

Unlike the previous website, this one displays properly in all browsers, not just I.E.8.
I have tested it in Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera & Safari.
It is supposed to display properly on Blackberries & i-phones as well (unlike the old website), but I will need players to confirm that for me. (Trev ?)

I got a bit of feedback from players yesterday regarding the new website.

Danny Hagan didn't like the 'football' idea on the Home Page, so I have now got rid of that and put the 5 main links (Forum, Latest Club News, The Present, The Past, The Videos) in a basic table instead.

Lee, Dean & Oz all said the website is really slow to load compared to the old one. I have therefore reduced the pixels on some of the images that are on every page, but you will still probably find it slow on blackberrys & i-phones. The only answer is to have a plain white background...but that's boring !
My internet connection is now 100mbs per second, so it loads up on my computer at lightning speed !
If anybody is finding that the website still takes over 5 seconds to load on their home or work computers, please let me know. It will always be slow to load on blackberries and i-phones, so you'll just have to put up with that if that's your only means of internet access.

Oz was complaining that he couldn't get used to the new design and now 'can't find anything' !
Obviously I have taken all the info off because it has all got to be re-formatted as I am using different software, but the pages and the links to them are still there.
It's dead easy. You just click on the black buttons for The Present, The Past & The Videos at the top of the Home Page (just under the Edmonton Rovers Football Club banner and the bit about us being a 'Pub Team on Video'), then when it goes through to those three main pages, the links to all the other pages are there.
You can also now hover the mouse pointer over those black buttons and a drop-down list of the other pages should appear...which you can then click on to reach the page.

If you find the Match Reports Page (from The Present), yesterday's match against Larsens is listed. Click on Larsens' name and a PDF file will appear with all the match details including the Marks Out Of 10. (That is as long as you have got Adobe Reader installed...I presume blackberries and i-phones have ?)
The Appearances & Goalscorers page has also been done, but that's it at the moment.
I might be able to get something on the Latest Club News and Forthcoming Fixtures pages sometime this week, but unfortunately the rest of the website (and doing You Tube highlights of matches) will have to wait until after I have finished re-designing the League website and editing those Tournaments that I filmed at West Ham during the Summer.