THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad For Next 7-a-Side Match (Thursday 17th June...9.00.p.m.)

The squad for this coming Thursday night's match against XS (a 9.00.p.m. kick-off) will be announced on Monday, and priority for playing will be in the following order:
1) A goalkeeper (preferably Jacko).
2) Prospective new players. No more than two though, and preferably ones brought along by current players.
3) Players who are bringing new players along.
4) Players from last season who have not signed the League Multi-Registration Form yet.
5) Good players who might want to re-join the club. (There are 2 or 3 who we are aiming to chase up).
6) Players who did not play last night who normally play 7-a-side.

If we have more than 10 players available for next Thursday, and particularly if there are several from the advert we have just put here on the League website, then we will be having a one-hour training session on the grass at the back of the Astroturfs for everybody before our 7-a-side match kicks-off.
This will not be a manic fitness session. We will be doing plenty of passing and shooting practice so that we can see what new players are like before we throw them into a 7-a-side League match.

We can then pick the squad for the 7-a-side match at the end of training depending on who is the fittest, or in the case of new players, who has impressed the most. We can name a squad of 10 instead of 8 and make plenty of roll-on, roll-off substitutions if too many players are particularly knackered.
If anybody can't get there for an 8.00.p.m. start (on the grass for training) because of work, then we can probably give them a full 50 minutes at 7-a-side (if they are fit enough). However, that will only apply to current players. We would prefer to see new players at training first.

The reason we are doing this is because we have got too many players who cannot train on other nights of the week in addition to playing 7-a-side on Thursdays, and too many players who cannot train on Sunday mornings during the Summer due to cricket and family commitments.
We must have training of some sort if we are aiming to get new players joining the club, so this is our only option.

Who wants to watch France on telly next Thursday night ? I don't. They don't deserve to be in the World Cup anyway !

Re: Squad For Next 7-a-Side Match (Thursday 17th June...9.00.p.m.)

I have not had any phone calls yet resulting from the advert...probably because potential players are all watching the World Cup instead of scouring websites to find a team to play for...so the squad for this Thursday is as follows (I have named 9 because it includes a couple of people's mates):
Simon Jackson (GK)
Martin Loveday
& mate from work
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo
& mate
Kris Spyrou
Tem Adil
Lee King
Derek Dorward

We will have to hope that either Kizza's mate or Loveday's mate is a defender. If not, then somebody else will have to go in defence.

If all 9 players listed above are available (and I will text them all tonight to find out, as some of them won't check on here), then we could have our 8.00.p.m. training session on the grass idea if the following players (who I think are available ?) are prepared to turn up for that:
Ollie Tedder (GK)
Danny Hagan
Terry Moore
Jim Arrowsmith
Danny Smith
Rob Brown
& possibly one or two others ?

I can also join in if necessary, but unfortunately Barney will not be there to do any fitness/warm-up drills, so we will be relying on Jacko to turn up and do that...even though he has been winding me up on Facebook saying that he has left !

Lol i am avaialable as it my mate Andy McGovern. He is not a defender, he is a forward or attacking midfielder, He's got great feet and is a good finisher so should add something going forward.

Loveday
Lol i am avaialable as it my mate Andy McGovern. He is not a defender, he is a forward or attacking midfielder, He's got great feet and is a good finisher so should add something going forward.
I texted everybody in the squad last night and only had replies from Tem, Lee King & Del, all of whom confirmed their availability.

Kizza e-mailed me last week and said he was in Germany but would be back in time to play this Thursday if needed, and that he had one or two mates wanting to join us. I don't know exactly when he is back though.

Jacko and Kris have not replied. Both of them put messages on Facebook last week which appeared to indicate that they have left the club (without giving any reasons as to why). If they don't come on here, e-mail, or text me to explain themselves, then 'somebody' will need to give them a phone call, but that should be the Manager's job. Trev is Manager this Thursday.

If Jacko and Kris have not got in touch by 10.00.p.m. tonight and nobody bothers to phone them, then I will call Ollie Tedder up to go in goal and Terry Moore or Danny Hagan to play in defence (whoever wants to volunteer).
We will then have a squad of 7 not including Kizza and his mate. If Kizza doesn't get in touch by 10.00.p.m. tomorrow (wednesday) night, then both Terry & Dan will be needed.
We also have several others available as far as I know, but probably not enough to warrant having a training session beforehand this week....unless you the players think it is worth it ?

Also, can Del, Lee King & Loveday's mate please bring a passport photo with them so that I can sign them up for next season if necessary ?

Jacko is playing.

Stuart has just informed me that he is available to play this Thursday, so I have therefore put him in the squad (instead of Kizza's mate) as he has not signed the Multi-Reg Form yet.

Laurence
Loveday
I texted everybody in the squad last night and only had replies from Tem, Lee King & Del, all of whom confirmed their availability.

Kizza e-mailed me last week and said he was in Germany but would be back in time to play this Thursday if needed, and that he had one or two mates wanting to join us. I don't know exactly when he is back though.

Jacko and Kris have not replied. Both of them put messages on Facebook last week which appeared to indicate that they have left the club (without giving any reasons as to why). If they don't come on here, e-mail, or text me to explain themselves, then 'somebody' will need to give them a phone call, but that should be the Manager's job. Trev is Manager this Thursday.

If Jacko and Kris have not got in touch by 10.00.p.m. tonight and nobody bothers to phone them, then I will call Ollie Tedder up to go in goal and Terry Moore or Danny Hagan to play in defence (whoever wants to volunteer).
We will then have a squad of 7 not including Kizza and his mate. If Kizza doesn't get in touch by 10.00.p.m. tomorrow (wednesday) night, then both Terry & Dan will be needed.
We also have several others available as far as I know, but probably not enough to warrant having a training session beforehand this week....unless you the players think it is worth it ?

Don't really blame Kris for contemplating leaving after not getting picked last week when you had a bare seven! He might not be the most technical player but works his arse off every game.

Tem
Don't really blame Kris for contemplating leaving after not getting picked last week when you had a bare seven! He might not be the most technical player but works his arse off every game.
I accept that's my fault.

I took a gamble that nobody else would drop out after Smithy did. Lee King then dropped out an hour before kick-off, so I texted Del and just hoped he would turn up.
I should have texted Kris instead of Del because I am psychic and should have known that Del would not get the message.

If Kris wants to leave because I did something like that, he won't be the only player to have done so.

Available if needed, give me a shout if someone drops out at short notice

Me too

Lol why do we bother entering this 7 aside is it jus to get the players over to resign or is there any chance this club can enter anything and actually try and win it because all this rotating is bollocks,players that played alot of the season and who r committed should be named in the squad and players that want to sign for us should train at the end of the world cup wen we should start training and then u can hav a good look at them and if they r still about at the start of pre season friendlys all well and and good but when these players realise they r up against the likes of danny hagan rob brown quality players they will fuck off and we r left wiv a bare 11.

smithy
Lol why do we bother entering this 7 aside is it jus to get the players over to resign or is there any chance this club can enter anything and actually try and win it because all this rotating is bollocks,
We have always entered the 7-a-side League to keep ourselves fit during the Summer first and foremost. Signing different players up on the Multi-Registration Form every week is an added bonus.
Every Summer we have numerous players wanting to play in May & June, so I could name our strongest possible side for every game then, but come July & August they are all either on holiday or working late to cover for work colleagues who are on holiday...or they start training with Saturday clubs. We are therefore never going to win the League anyway because of that, so that's why I rotate the squad. It's pointless winning all our games in May & June and then losing all our games in July & August.
smithy
players that want to sign for us should train at the end of the world cup wen we should start training and then u can hav a good look at them
This was what I wanted but the rest of our new Management Committee (Trev, Loveday, Barney & Terry Moore) don't agree. They want to look at new players now because they think we will lose out to other clubs if we leave it until after the World Cup to advertise.

smithy
if they r still about at the start of pre season friendlys all well and and good but when these players realise they r up against the likes of danny hagan rob brown quality players they will fuck off and we r left wiv a bare 11.
At 7-a-side last Thursday, Trev explained that his policy will be the same as he has done for years whereby if new players join at the start of the season and then can't get in the side for League matches because people who have been playing for us for years but can't play 7-a-side, go training or play in Pre-Season Friendlies are put in ahead of them because they are better players (e.g. Conor, Cokell, Stuart, Rob, etc.), then he is not bothered if those new players then leave. It's up to them to stay and fight for a place in the side. (Maybe Trev can come on here and expand on that a bit further as I have probably got that wrong !?

I think havin this many in the commitee is wrong its to many opinions it jus dont work no one will take the bull by the horns and make solid decisions it is all nonsense can u see the likes of tem,lee king, ollie,training and fighting for a place wiv the players we have,i certainly dont and as normall wen these players dont get in they wont turn up as tem and others did last season.yet they play 7 aside every week its bollox.

Bollocks. The season just gone was a difficult one for me having loads of injuries and studies. Played enough games the season before that, and in past seasons when we had 9 or 10 players only turning up for every match!

When we first entered the 7 a side league several years ago we always played our strongest side and tried to win it. Although we never won the league we were one of the better sides and beat all the other top teams at some stage.

With our current squad of players we could only win this league if our strongest 7 were available every week. There is no way that is going to happen throughout the summer so we have been using it for fitness and to give an opportunity to new players to see if they will join for next season.

As far as I am concerned Tem has always informed us when he is unavailable due to injury and he has stayed with the club despite being left out of the squad on many occasions. He is the sort of player we need in the squad. When the season starts I will continue to pick the strongest team for league and cup games and if players leave because they are not picked I will accept their decision. The players that stay with the club will hopefully improve through substitute appearances and training and when they get in the side they will have the chance to keep their place if we are winning.

Over the years we have had many players who only became regulars after many substitute appearances. We are in Division One and only players of proven qhality will be able to get straight into the team.

We need to sign up players to commit to playing for us next season as soon as possible so that we can assess the size of our squad and chase new players where required.

Kris has texted to say that he is not available for tomorrow night's match. He didn't say anything about leaving the club.
I have not heard from Kizza, so the squad (of 8) is now as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Terry Moore
Martin Loveday
Andy McGovern
Tem Adil
Lee King
Stuart Dorward
Derek Dorward

Is Tem giving Lee a lift ?

Laurence
Kris has texted to say that he is not available for tomorrow night's match. He didn't say anything about leaving the club.
I have not heard from Kizza, so the squad (of 8) is now as follows:
Simon Jackson (GK)
Terry Moore
Martin Loveday
Andy McGovern
Tem Adil
Lee King
Stuart Dorward
Derek Dorward

Is Tem giving Lee a lift ?

yeah most probably

smithy
I think havin this many in the commitee is wrong its to many opinions it jus dont work no one will take the bull by the horns and make solid decisions it is all nonsense can u see the likes of tem,lee king, ollie,training and fighting for a place wiv the players we have,i certainly dont and as normall wen these players dont get in they wont turn up as tem and others did last season.yet they play 7 aside every week its bollox.
O.K., so from next Thursday onwards, because nobody wants to be substituted I just pick a squad of 7 every week (Jacko, Terry Moore, Barney, you, Rob, Hagan & either Loveday or a mate of yours up front who probably won't join us anyway because we are shit), and even though I am a League Officer I forge a load of signatures on the Multi-Registration Form...including yours because you don't want to sign it yet ?

Does anybody else agree with that ?

I know that several players have told me to forge the Multi-Registration Form 'because everybody else does', but I'm not sure what the others think about the squad policy.