THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7-a-Side Result - Thursday 10th June

Unfortunately we were only able to field a 'bare seven' players for this week's match against second-placed Emerald Rovers after Danny Smith and Lee King both dropped out during the afternoon due to work commitments, so that didn't bode well against a side we had lost 9-0 and 9-1 to last Summer.
That meant I had to play up front, but at least we had six other decent players available with Olie Tedder being a capable goalkeeper, while Terry Moore, Alan Barnard, Danny Hagan, Rob Brown & Jim Arrowsmith...all first-choice players...made up the rest of the side.
However, Emerald Rovers were fielding a strong squad of 8 very good players including former Republic Of Ireland Under-21 International and Enfield Town player Niall Ritchie, and they had too much quality for us in the final third. We therefore found ourselves 3-0 down at Half-Time, which was partly my fault as I had eaten too much for Dinner (thinking that Lee King would be playing instead of me) and I could hardly move for fear of chundering up on the pitch. However, a drink of water during the break did me good and I was able to run about a lot more in the Second Half, and as a result, we played much better as a team. We still found ourselves 4-0 down with about 10 minutes to go though, when Niall Ritchie volleyed in, but at least Alan Barnard came up from the back to pull a goal back and we created a few other chances.
4-1 was how it finished though, and we couldn't really complain about the scoreline.
Hopefully we will have some new players to try out next Thursday, as obviously I shouldn't be playing at the age of 51 !

Re: 7-a-Side Result - Thursday 10th June

Unlucky about the result boys.

Lol, still not sure why you didn't called either myself or Kris up when you found out Danny Smith wasn't playing. Bit risky playing such a 'quality' side with a bare seven in my opinion.

We are allowed a squad of 10 but this causes problems with playing time due to the number of substitutions.
I was happy for a squad of 9 to allow for people turning up late or last minute unavailability.
However, I agreed to reduce the squad to 8 because most of the players do not want to be substituted and are 'fit enough' to play the full game.
As I was unavailable Laurence would have been in the difficult position of making the unpopular substitutions to accomodate a squad of 8 so I do understand why he did not call anyone up.

I will be there next week and Tem should be in the squad if available.

Trevor Hughes
As I was unavailable Laurence would have been in the difficult position of making the unpopular substitutions to accomodate a squad of 8 so I do understand why he did not call anyone up.
Correct.