THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Summer 7-a-Side League

The application forms have just come through for this Summer's 7-a-side League (Monday & Thursday Night Leagues as usual) at the Southgate Hockey Centre, and the closing date for entries is Monday 19th April.

I think we need to make a decision by this coming Sunday as to whether we can enter a team or not, and on what night.

Personally, I think we must make an effort to enter a team either on a Monday or a Thursday night, but not both.
This is because we have a number of very good players wanting to join us next season, namely some mates of Danny Hagan's (as their Sunday Team folded up earlier this season), and also a mate of Kizza's who is also a quality player. Hagan's mates play for Old Parmiterians First XI, who are one of the top teams in the Amateur Football Combination on Saturdays (along with our old 7-a-side League rivals New Barnet Casuals, who are Old Minchendenians First XI on Saturdays).

Apparently Daley can also now play 7-a-side during the Summer as he has changed his work shifts and I think Jamile Little is keen to play as well, so we should be able to get a much stronger squad together this year than we have done for the last few Summers.

As far as I know, Trevor will be able to attend most matches to be Manager, but the problem is who can organise the squad by making phone calls during daytime hours when players have to drop out on the day of the match...which we know will happen frequently ?
This is something that I am too busy to do nowadays, so ideally we need someone to take on that responsibility before we commit ourselves to joining the League.
We may also have to charge players more than £5.00 per match, as it gets more expensive to join the League every year. Yes, we can blame the Referees for that !

Can I therefore have some feedback on here from players before this Sunday as to which night(s) they can play, and whether they will be bringing new players along ?

Re: Summer 7-a-Side League

Monday nights only.

Thursday nights only (at the moment, but that may possibly change to both nights by the time the season starts).

I dont think i am willing to commit to playing every week, but will certainly be available to help out either on a monday or thursday if required.

Same as Loveday

Not getting much feedback here, are we ?

I am going to make a decision myself on Monday morning 'whatever', and at the moment I am thinking along the lines of it all depending on what night Danny Hagan's mates can play/prefer...assuming 'several' of them are interested in playing for us next season as he says.

However, Hagan seems to have disappeared !
No messages on here regarding this coming Sunday's Cheshunt (Sunday) postponement, and he hasn't even posted on Facebook for the last four days when he is normally on there every five minutes !
Looks like he has lost his phone.

If I don't hear from him and take a gamble on entering the Thursday League, we could find that they won't be able to play on Thursday nights in August because of Old Parmiterians First XI training, and if I take a gamble on Monday nights, we will then probably have trouble fielding a team in August because we will have played an 11-a-side Pre-Season Friendly the day before.

I have not got time to text and phone everybody individually before Monday, so I am going to need more feedback on here.
If I don't get any, then we can't really enter a team.
If we don't do that, we are unlikely to get any new players for next season, as we know that existing players will not do any Pre-Season Training.

Another problem is the Waltham Sunday League Multi-Registration Form for next season.
It was not given out at the meeting last night (as normal), and we will not get it until after this season has finished. That means the only way that we can get players signed up on that (and therefore avoid having to provide a new passport-size photo and fill in a full registration form) is at 7-a-side matches, as I cannot drive to places like Leigh-On-Sea, Radlett and Chelsea (where Kizza now apparently lives ! ).

That's the situation at the moment.

to be honest i'd probably be giving both nights a miss this year, mostly due to the travel/family commitments

I will defintly play i have got mates who will come over if we are ever short anyway it is really good over there to maintain a little fitness through the summer so im well up for it,thursdays is better for us tho,

i have not disappeared lol dont panic

my mates from parms are still telling me they will do it but i know them well enough to know that they will drop out last minute, all i can do is keep going on at them which i have done and as of now they are still interested.

sorry its late - should be able to play thurs every now and again...

I know it's hard on Steve Cokell, but I have entered a team in the Thursday Night League 'whatever'.
I just think Mondays will be too much of a problem when Pre-Season Friendlies start in August...and most of those who have replied prefer Thursdays anyway.

Unlike last Summer when various players seemed to take it in turns to name squads for matches, I think the best way of doing things this time is for Trevor and myself to discuss and name the squad each week (on a Thursday evening after a match), with me naming it on the Forum the following day...as happens for 11-a-side matches. The players listed then confirm their availability by mid-day on a Wednesday, which then gives us Wednesday afternoon & evening to chase up others to play if needed.
However, the naming of replacements and the chasing-up of them on a Wednesday/Thursday will have to be done by the players that are still due to be playing in that particular match, as that is what I definitely will not have time to do myself. I also won't be able to attend many matches either. Last Summer, I only attended one !

We also must make sure that everybody who plays pays their £5.00 (or more ?) per match.
If someone brings a mate/new player along, they cannot have a free match....as happened numerous times last Summer. The club only has about £50 in the funds at the moment because of Cheshunt (Sunday) dropping out and us having to play 5 Double-Headers. Also, we get no refund from Enfield Council for Hazelwood being called off. (Serious loss of income).

Dont know if this link will work on here, but here are the teams in the Thurday Night League this year.
(Edit: You have to click on 'Thursday Football League 2010' on the list that appears.
Where are McKenzie Rangers ?!

Our first match (next Thursday...6th May) is a 7.30.p.m. Kick-Off against Sovereign Boca (or Boca Sovereign as they now seem to be called).

I want to pick Danny Hagan and as many of his mates from Old Parmiterians who want to join us next season for this game first and foremost, then use existing players to fill in where necessary. Most of our current players do not want to play every week anyway.
Hopefully, one of Hagan's mates is a goalkeeper as I presume Jacko still has a dodgy back ? We know that Darryl won't play on Astroturf.
I want a squad of 9 (ideally).

as i said before dont bank on them lot commiting to it. it was all said over a few drinks and if im honest they are wankers when it comes to commitment. they already seem to have gone cold. I'd suggest getting exisiting players in for this one. My mate olie tedder has said he will play this week and he is a good keeper.

I Should be ok.

We are now playing North London instead of Sovereign Boca, but it's still a 7.30.p.m. kick-off.

I will be texting players on Monday & Tuesday in order to scrape up a squad, then announce it on here when I have found 9 players.
I am too busy today and over the weekend.

If players can post on here in the meantime if they can definitely play this coming Thursday, then that will help.
At the moment, I will be picking Jacko, Danny Hagan, Ollie Tedder (as an outfield player) & Daley, plus five others.

The 7-a-side League pages on the club website will also be updated for this Summer on Monday or Tuesday.

I can play if required.

I am not available on 6th May.
I am away on 27th May and 3rd June.

Apart from these dates I will be there every Thursday to collect subs and manage the team if required.

I will be there most Thursdays this Summer, and I will play when players don't turn up or are late....but not in goal !

I will be there this Thursday and will bring the shirts, a ball and the £36 match fee, but that's it.
Players have to bring their own shorts, socks & drinks.

I won't be there on Thursday 20th May though. (League AGM).

Laurence, do not get pissed off with me here i am pissed off myself because i cannot stand being injured and having miss playing football. But on saturday i have fucked my knee playing for cev. went to hospital yesturday and luckily i havent broke nothing nor have i done any ligament damage, i have just taken an impact to it therefore causing it to swell and form fluid. 2 weeks and i should be ok.
obviously im unavailable this thursday and also that means Olie wont be playing either. Sorry mate.

Danny Hagan
Laurence, do not get pissed off with me here i am pissed off myself because i cannot stand being injured and having miss playing football. But on saturday i have fucked my knee playing for cev. went to hospital yesturday and luckily i havent broke nothing nor have i done any ligament damage, i have just taken an impact to it therefore causing it to swell and form fluid. 2 weeks and i should be ok.
obviously im unavailable this thursday and also that means Olie wont be playing either. Sorry mate.
No worries. I'll get a team up.

Danny Hagan

Danny Hagan = Darren Anderton

i can play if needed

I am manically busy at the moment.

In addition to a whole heap of family commitments (thanks to the builders leaving a mess behind) and a massive backlog of Cup Final editing work, I will be filming another Cup Final Tuesday evening in Hornchurch, then I will be out all day on Wednesday filming trials at Luton Town FC (Kenilworth Road).

I am not going to have much time at all to chase people up to play on Thursday night and I definitely won't be able to update the website before then.

If somebody else (e.g. Barney, Tony King or Loveday) could organise a team for me just for this week's match, it would be much appreciated.
I will definitely be there myself on Thursday night (with the shirts, money & ball). I just haven't got time to decide who to pick for the squad and text them to find out if they are available.

I will get a team together.

So far we have the following status for Thursday:

1 - Jacko
2 - Barney
3 - Danny Smith
4 - Danny Smith's mate Warren
5 - Tony King ?
6 - Terry Moore ?

Is there anyone lse who wants to play Thursday for a 7.30 kick off?

I would do (and I will do when I can, and when you are struggling) but can't this Thursday as it's the missus birthday and I value my bollocks.

if you are absolutely desperate this week i can play but not in goal. Let me know.

Available if needed

Kris, i have put you in the side please confirm you will be there, my number if anyone has any problems is: 07534 096 455

1 - Jacko - Confirmed
2 - Barney - Confirmed
3 - Danny Smith - Confirmed
4 - Warren - Confirmed via Danny Smith
5 - Kris - Confirmed
6 - Tony King - Confirmed

Will be there

Available if needed.

1 2